Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Zero S Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20955-2013-zero-s-review.html)

Administrator 04-19-2013 11:37 AM

2013 Zero S Review
 

Original Article:
2013 Zero S Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Zero S Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

schizuki 04-19-2013 03:17 PM

Gotta admit, this has a lot of appeal. Good looking, reasonable range (assuming it isn't bullsh!t). The zippered compartment is inexcusable, but that's a niggle. Price is still a tad too high, but not unreasonable. I could use this as a commuter. But that means I still need a second bike, so the price then becomes unreasonable. Still need a range of at least 300 miles for an e-bike to be an only bike - and the first clown who sincerely says "it's only three to five years away" gets the back of my hand.

Buzglyd 04-19-2013 05:50 PM

An artivce in another publication quoted Zero as saying, "Don't expect any more range or recharge improvements," or something to that effect.

This bike looks pretty fun but 3-5 years is here.

seruzawa 04-19-2013 06:01 PM

A good choice if you live in someplace like Hollywood and don't have to commute more than 20 miles each way. 70 miles at 70 mph is useable for many people.

When I was staying in Hollywood last year there was a guy who came whizzing by every morning down Fountain on some little yellow scooter. There's something eerie about e-bikes' silence. They are going to have to come down a lot in price though and in any case one would be useless to me unless it could guarantee 200 mile ranges.

jmdonald 04-19-2013 06:47 PM

Zero
 
Forgive me. The Zero has Zero appeal to me.

Kevin_Duke 04-20-2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 281154)
An artivce in another publication quoted Zero as saying, "Don't expect any more range or recharge improvements," or something to that effect.

This bike looks pretty fun but 3-5 years is here.

Zero cautioned me that it wouldn't be bringing forth advancements as quick as they have been lately. But e-vehicle development will continue whether Zero does the R&D itself, so I'll bet we'll see updates in 2015. It's a fun bike, Buz. You should take one for a spin if you get a chance.

Duken4evr 04-20-2013 11:54 AM

A few reactions to the article:

1) That is a lot of torque.
2) Given the existence of #1, will it do a wheelie? Inquiring demented minds want to know.

If I had stupid money is no object money laying around, I would probably pick one up. A dual sport version with this motor/battery could be useful for riding up stairs and otherwise conducting urban enduro activities and flagrantly breaking the law in silence. Silent hooliganism - I kinda like that idea. Limited range is a potential bummer for getways from the Man though...

Tesla is selling a lot of very cool Model S electric cars. I own some TSLA stock in the retirement account and am currently $2,000 ahead on it after it's recent runup. Tesla is teaming with Mercedes and was tapped to provide power trains. This is not a passing fad, and there is action in the electric vehicle area.

Final thought. One of these in a scooter format with onboard storage would make a lot of sense for people of means who want to go green. Lots of those do gooders out there, especially in Northern CA. Such a ride would be the perfect grocery getter urban runabout conveyance for the Santa Cruz trust fund set...

Kevin_Duke 04-20-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 281170)
A few reactions to the article:

1) That is a lot of torque.
2) Given the existence of #1, will it do a wheelie? Inquiring demented minds want to know.

If I had stupid money is no object money laying around, I would probably pick one up. A dual sport version with this motor/battery could be useful for riding up stairs and otherwise conducting urban enduro activities and flagrantly breaking the law in silence. Silent hooliganism - I kinda like that idea. Limited range is a potential bummer for getways from the Man though...

No wheelies on the S. Remember, power output is dished out from the bike's motor controller, and the off-the-line hit from the S is softened for civilized response. However, I'm told Zero's new FX model does do wheelies, although its optional 5.7 KwH battery won't take you nearly as far as the S. We intend to investigate it mono-wheeling capabilities! As for a dual-sport, Zero's DS model is essentially an S with longer-travel suspension and dual-purpose tires.

seruzawa 04-20-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 281170)
A few reactions to the article:

If I had stupid money is no object money laying around, I would probably pick one up. A dual sport version with this motor/battery could be useful for riding up stairs and otherwise conducting urban enduro activities and flagrantly breaking the law in silence. Silent hooliganism - I kinda like that idea.

Remember. Electric power is not affected by altitude. An e-bike gets the same power at sea level and at 14,000 feet.

Buzglyd 04-20-2013 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 281162)
Zero cautioned me that it wouldn't be bringing forth advancements as quick as they have been lately. But e-vehicle development will continue whether Zero does the R&D itself, so I'll bet we'll see updates in 2015. It's a fun bike, Buz. You should take one for a spin if you get a chance.

I'd love to. Electric motors have a unique feel.

Even my neigh it's hybrid Camry feels different when pulling away from a stop.

If the true believers don't start buying these things soon, they won't be around much longer


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:44 PM.