Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Moto Guzzi California Review: Emissary of the new Guzzi - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20951-2013-moto-guzzi-california-review-emissary-new-guzzi-video.html)

Administrator 04-17-2013 05:16 PM

2013 Moto Guzzi California Review: Emissary of the new Guzzi - Video

Original Article:
2013 Moto Guzzi California Review: Emissary of the new Guzzi - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Moto Guzzi California Review: Emissary of the new Guzzi - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-17-2013 06:11 PM

Duty now for the future.

Seeing those old photos reminds me of why I like the California. With the improvements made it is more appealing that's for sure. The plasti-chrome will be missed. Fit and finish mean a lot.

The Spaceman 04-18-2013 06:43 AM

Moto Guzzi has a history and legacy equal to any iconic brand like HD or Triumph. It's great to see they're investing in the people and product to produce a machine worthy of the name.

One thing I've always wondered about their V- twin design: don't those cylinders roast your legs when its hot? It sure looks like they would.

Auphliam 04-18-2013 07:39 AM

Nice looking bike. Always liked Guzzis. Is it just me, or does the rear fender appear to be "floppy" in the video? Could be just the junk hanging off it. I like how the stock photos don't even show that junk LOL.

Buzglyd 04-18-2013 08:30 AM

I really like this.

I'll have to head down to GP in San Diego and see if they have a demo.

12er 04-18-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281104)
Moto Guzzi has a history and legacy equal to any iconic brand like HD or Triumph. It's great to see they're investing in the people and product to produce a machine worthy of the name.

One thing I've always wondered about their V- twin design: don't those cylinders roast your legs when its hot? It sure looks like they would.

Itallians tend to be small is the conclusion Ive came to with Guzzi's design theory. As every one Ive sat on would of left a lovely burnt flesh smell if I had ridden it to operating temp.

Buzglyd 04-18-2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281104)

You've had a H-D rear cylinder between your legs.

Roasting is roasting.

bmwclay 04-18-2013 10:46 PM

V- twin design

Never had a problem with my Le Mans re: engine heat. Sold my Le Mans for a K1200S for the power. Wish I had my Le Mans back for the character, it's all about the 'motor'.

The_AirHawk 04-19-2013 04:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwclay
Never had a problem with my Le Mans re: engine heat. Sold my Le Mans for a K1200S for the power. Wish I had my Le Mans back for the character, it's all about the 'motor'.

With Guzzi, I'd say it's "all about the character" - which Guzzi [always!] has in Spades, without a doubt.

Why be another one of hundreds-of-thousands of "Rugged Induhvidualists" when you could have had an 8V?

The added weight is a turnoff, though. Sort of like agreeing to marry that hot 20's blonde; but at the altar you notice something off but cannot put your finger on it until after lifting the veil when the preacher sez "you may kiss the bride" - and you see you just married her oogly 15-year-older and 200-pound-heavier sister, crammed into a corset.....

The Spaceman 04-19-2013 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 281123)
You've had a H-D rear cylinder between your legs.

Roasting is roasting.

I never had a problem with heat on the HD . Unlike the FLH touring bikes, the FX had nothing to trap the heat, it just flowed away underneath the seat and behind me. Quite a different setup from a pair of cylinders sticking out right in front of your legs. Maybe it's not an issue at all.