Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Pirelli Angel GT Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20950-pirelli-angel-gt-review.html)

Administrator 04-16-2013 03:31 PM

Pirelli Angel GT Review

Original Article:
Pirelli Angel GT Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Pirelli Angel GT Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-16-2013 04:12 PM

Statistics

It does not surprise me that 30% of tire sales in Europe are sport touring but sport touring bikes total 12%. It makes sense to go with ST type rubber. Pirelli makes a great sports car tire. This GT should do well for the motorcyle guys.

The Spaceman 04-17-2013 06:02 AM

The level of effort put into the design and engineering of motorcycle tires is amazing. Keeping up with the improvements in the "hardware" is equally impressive.

And then there's the crowd of riders who shoehorn car tires onto their rims (even fronts!) because they're too cheap to buy real m/c tires every 8k miles. It's so weird to me that a rider would deliberately introduce a needless risk variable into riding when it's already risky enough.

Buzglyd 04-17-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281096)
The level of effort put into the design and engineering of motorcycle tires is amazing. Keeping up with the improvements in the "hardware" is equally impressive.

And then there's the crowd of riders who shoehorn car tires onto their rims (even fronts!) because they're too cheap to buy real m/c tires every 8k miles. It's so weird to me that a rider would deliberately introduce a needless risk variable into riding when it's already risky enough.

Fronts?

I've seen the Wing guys put car tires on the back but never the front.

Now that would be stupid times 100.

sarnali2 04-17-2013 09:32 AM

Pirelli makes some pretty good tires, I believe they produce Metzler as well, either way I'v had good luck with them various bikes and cars. The calender is pretty cool to if you can get one.

The Spaceman 04-17-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarnali2 (Post 281098)
Pirelli makes some pretty good tires, I believe they produce Metzler as well, either way I'v had good luck with them various bikes and cars. The calender is pretty cool to if you can get one.

When I was a teenager I got a set of Pirellis for my Datsun. The damn things lasted forever. I was commuting about 100 miles a day to school in a rotating carpool with some other students. They went through 3 or 4 sets of tires to my 1 set. Then again, one car in the pool was a Gremlin with bias-belt Goodyears, and the other was a Bug with "whatever is cheapest."

Duken4evr 04-18-2013 02:37 PM

My FZ1 has Michelin Pilot Road 2s on it, they have 10,000 miles and are about done. These new Pirellis sound like a good replacement, for the PR2s. Will probably go with whichever is cheaper. I am not that fast, or that particular :)

Will say the compliant at lean over cracks and bumps PR2s are worlds better than the brick like Dunlop (Dumbglop?) D221s that came on the bike. Those tires were the worst I have ever ridden on.

TonyC 05-11-2013 11:10 AM

Read the text carefully. That longevity test is not saying what many may be reading from it. It doesn't say that the Pirellis lasted longer than those other brands, which is what I think is being implied.
It said that in handling tests are various mileage points, the Pirellis outperformed the others. That might mean that at 8000 miles the Pirellis handled better than the Michelins, but it might also mean that they were worn out at that point while the competitive brand might still have a few thousand miles in it. There is not enough info provided here for us to tell. But it would seem to me if you are going to all the expense of doing this testing, and your tire lasted longer than your competitors', you would publish that fact loud and clearly.
So at some point near the end of their life, the Pirellis handled better. How many long-distance riders ditch their tires because the handling has deteriorated, versus the number who ride until they are out of tread?

seruzawa 05-11-2013 05:40 PM

I've gotten best service from 1)Avon and 2)Michelin P2s/3s. I see no reason the change. My last Pirelli was toast thousands of miles earlier. I'm not going to toss a couple hundred bucks on experimentation.

Kevin_Duke 05-12-2013 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TonyC (Post 281558)
Read the text carefully. That longevity test is not saying what many may be reading from it. It doesn't say that the Pirellis lasted longer than those other brands, which is what I think is being implied.
It said that in handling tests are various mileage points, the Pirellis outperformed the others. That might mean that at 8000 miles the Pirellis handled better than the Michelins, but it might also mean that they were worn out at that point while the competitive brand might still have a few thousand miles in it. There is not enough info provided here for us to tell. But it would seem to me if you are going to all the expense of doing this testing, and your tire lasted longer than your competitors', you would publish that fact loud and clearly.
So at some point near the end of their life, the Pirellis handled better. How many long-distance riders ditch their tires because the handling has deteriorated, versus the number who ride until they are out of tread?

You make some good points. There's a couple things I can share. First, the test was a third-party evaluation by a German motorcycle mag, Motorrad. Second, Pirelli was unwise to quote the test without getting into details. Lastly, I called Pirelli to ask about it, and they asserted the GTs actually proved to, as the review says, have better longevity than the other tires in the class. How that was actually measured, they couldn't explain. How's your German...?