Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring vs. 2013 Triumph Explorer - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20944-2013-ducati-multistrada-1200-s-touring-vs-2013-triumph-explorer-video.html)

Administrator 04-11-2013 02:05 PM

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring vs. 2013 Triumph Explorer - Video

Original Article:
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring vs. 2013 Triumph Explorer - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring vs. 2013 Triumph Explorer - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-11-2013 02:34 PM

Agc

Another great comparison. After this review I am not so sure about an adventure bike for all around riding. The video format of riding with intermittent discussion is a nice format.

Duken4evr 04-11-2013 07:17 PM

The Duc seems to have a perfect real world powerband. Broad band power, fun on the top end, two cylinder growl and power delivery. I like the triples too though. Volunteering to ride both for a month each and get back to you on it :)

Kevin_Duke 04-11-2013 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 281030)
The Duc seems to have a perfect real world powerband. Broad band power, fun on the top end, two cylinder growl and power delivery. I like the triples too though. Volunteering to ride both for a month each and get back to you on it :)

Okay, make get down to your dealer and let us know how it goes!

The Spaceman 04-12-2013 07:04 AM

I sat on but didn't ride the Explorererer at the local Triumph dealer. It's just too damn big for my taste, and it's clearly got the weight up high as noted. Sort of a two-wheeled Suburban. The MultiStrada, OTOH, is just right. Big enough to be comfy for long rides (not sure how a pillion would be), small enough to feel sporty and fun to ride. But $20k is more than I could spend.

Any plans to review the HyperStrada? It appears to be positioned as the "Jr. Multi." A shootout with the Tiger and GS 800s would be interesting.

Kevin_Duke 04-12-2013 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 281035)
Any plans to review the HyperStrada? It appears to be positioned as the "Jr. Multi." A shootout with the Tiger and GS 800s would be interesting.

Just as soon as we can get our legs over it! I'm exited about this smaller-bore sport-touring class that's emerging, along with BMW's F800GT we'll be riding in a couple of weeks. Our recentish sport-touring shootout of the 1300/1400 class made us look back fondly at S-T bikes that didn't weigh 650 lbs. I think these 800s are sized right for most purposes.

jmdonald 04-12-2013 12:54 PM

Leaning

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 281049)
Just as soon as we can get our legs over it! I'm exited about this smaller-bore sport-touring class that's emerging, along with BMW's F800GT we'll be riding in a couple of weeks. Our recentish sport-touring shootout of the 1300/1400 class made us look back fondly at S-T bikes that didn't weigh 650 lbs. I think these 800s are sized right for most purposes.

Aside from suffering a slight torque deficit these new mid weight bikes may just be the ticket.

sarnali2 04-12-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 281049)

Jeeze don't let Seruzawa hear you, he's been beating up on overweight bikes for years, there'll be no living with him now....

12er 04-12-2013 01:52 PM

Did I miss the overview on the bags? I see they are negatives on both bikes but didnt see why.

I'm looking at the SMT vs the Duc and would love to see how the differences play out with you guys. Read a few comparo's from across the pond but nothing from this side.

Tom Roderick 04-12-2013 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12er (Post 281053)
Did I miss the overview on the bags? I see they are negatives on both bikes but didnt see why.

The way in which the Duc's bags open and close aren't exactly user-friendly, but their attachment to the bike is easy and secure. Triumph incorporates its Dynamic Luggage system that allows a certain amount of movement in the luggage while attached to the bike. Triumph claims improved performance, we only notice clunky, unsecured luggage that's a nuisance when traveling on any unpaved road, or a bumpy paved road for that matter.