Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Honda CBR600RR Review - Track Impression (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20940-2013-honda-cbr600rr-review-track-impression.html)

Administrator 04-09-2013 03:09 PM

2013 Honda CBR600RR Review - Track Impression

Original Article:
2013 Honda CBR600RR Review - Track Impression

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Honda CBR600RR Review - Track Impression in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 04-10-2013 10:07 AM

Rider Aids and I Love the Repsol graphics

When piloting a high performance machine one school of thought is the rider should be the center of all control processing the data and adjusting rider command as appropriate. Obviously rider aids require less from the rider. In racing, rider aids detract from the race in that the rider expertise is less of a factor. In my mind they enhance the regular guy at the track riding experience. I can say from personal experience never having owned a bike with new technology riding aids the satisfaction of piloting a machine during a spirited ride using only my expertise gives me a sense of satifaction I would not have knowing my machine did a lot of the hard stuff for me. Having ridden bikes with ASC,ABS slipper clutch among others I can't help but like the fact they are there and improve my limited ability. When executives dream, they dream of being motorcycle racers. Regular guys dream of being able to afford the best rider aids available. IMO

Kevin_Duke 04-10-2013 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 281014)
When piloting a high performance machine one school of thought is the rider should be the center of all control processing the data and adjusting rider command as appropriate. Obviously rider aids require less from the rider. In racing, rider aids detract from the race in that the rider expertise is less of a factor. In my mind they enhance the regular guy at the track riding experience. I can say from personal experience never having owned a bike with new technology riding aids the satisfaction of piloting a machine during a spirited ride using only my expertise gives me a sense of satifaction I would not have knowing my machine did a lot of the hard stuff for me. Having ridden bikes with ASC,ABS slipper clutch among others I can't help but like the fact they are there and improve my limited ability. When executives dream, they dream of being motorcycle racers. Regular guys dream of being able to afford the best rider aids available. IMO

I can assure you that there are still thousands of ways to crash bikes even with a full complement of electronic rider aids. A rider still has plenty to do...

The_AirHawk 04-10-2013 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 281018)
I can assure you that there are still thousands of ways to crash bikes even with a full complement of electronic rider aids. A rider still has plenty to do...

I figured you were going to announce that you were being laid-off due to the fact that bikes no-longer required Tech-y-typee hEditors to test them.....

Kevin_Duke 04-11-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 281020)
I figured you were going to announce that you were being laid-off due to the fact that bikes no-longer required Tech-y-typee hEditors to test them.....

Perhaps one day bikes won't require riders, but they'll still need smug and self-righteous editors to write about them. ;)

The_AirHawk 04-11-2013 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 281024)
Perhaps one day bikes won't require riders, but they'll still need smug and self-righteous editors to write about them. ;)

I for one, WELCOME our new Robot-Motorcycle Overlords!

Duken4evr 04-23-2013 05:18 PM

Seems to me that 600cc sport bikes have priced themselves into oblivion with MSRP prices well over 10 grand. The young buyers who want 600s can't afford them, and the guys who can afford 600s don't want them. The buyers who can easily afford 600s want a bigger bike.

There is a great divide out there and it seems to me it would hit super sport 600s particularly hard. It does not help that I found the late model 600 (an R6) that I rode last season to be annoying. It was too tiny and too peaky. These are good for track work, but little else. The 675 Triumphs stand as an exception. Those bike would be hands down my pick in this class.

That is my take, but then again, I also think the best bikes out there for real world ownership are the new CB1000F or a hot open class standard bike like the Ninja 1000, FZ1 or Bandit 12, or a big ADV bike like the Tiger or GS. The market, which is heavily dominated by what I consider to be ridiculously priced for what you get cruisers, apparently does not agree with this still semi sporty geezer, so I will just move along now, quickly, on my FZ1 :)

Tom Roderick 04-23-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 281219)
Seems to me that 600cc sport bikes have priced themselves into oblivion with MSRP prices well over 10 grand.

My sentiments exactly. When the CBR600F2 launched in 1991 its MSRP was $4995. The 2013 CBR600RR retails for $11,495. That's a $6,495 increase. Yes, it's been 22 years, but while 600cc supersport prices have more than doubled the national minimum wage has increased only $3.

Duken4evr 04-23-2013 05:44 PM

Funny thing too is that old F2, while not uber cool and loaded with technology like today's bikes, was a fantastic real world motorcycle.

Cars are also unnecessarily cool and loaded with tech for their own good. If the price of new bikes is shocking, the price of a new car is downright cardiac arrest inducing. I recall my '79 Dodge truck. Bought it in '81 for $3,500 with 7,500 miles, sold it a decade later with 145K miles for $2,500. Frugality aside, I fell in love in the bed of that truck under a starry night sky. Can't tell me the new trucks are more special than that ;)

seruzawa 04-23-2013 05:53 PM

Funny that the manufacs have tried so hard to outdo each other that they've developed narrowly focused track bikes that are mostly unrideable for those approaching 6ft. Since the average male height is 5'10" now a vast sector of the potential market is excluded. Yeah people can talk about visiting the gym and other ergonomic mods, but the fact remains that these bikes no longer have the wide appeal they used to. I was at Salt Lake Honda/Suzuki last weekend and there were a few guys looking at bikes. Some older and most in their 20s/30s and none looking at sportbikes, just cruisers as usual. The really young guys who want these things can't afford them, as noted.