Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 03-28-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Suzuki GSX-R History

Original Article:
Suzuki GSX-R History

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Suzuki GSX-R History in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 03-28-2013, 05:51 PM   #2
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Nice

Nice retrospective. I always liked the 750 best for some reason. Maybe one will end up in my dream garage.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:19 AM   #3
Duken4evr
Founding Member

A friend of mine bought an '86 1100 new and still has it. Rode that thing in '88 when I first met him, what an eye opener that bike was back then. His '86 is still pristine and nicely modded. He keeps it around but rarely rides it. Reminds him of his youth I guess.

Funny when he fires that thing up, the old air/oil cooled mill has a deep rustly sound to it, aided by a period short and open V&H can which does not do a whole lot of actual silencing. Time has moved on, but the sound and midrange pull that bike has are still exciting, all these years later.

A pic from back then. My buddy digging a hole in the Cal State Long Beach parking lot. It was a tradition, when the Metzler ME1s wore out.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 03-29-2013 at 07:27 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

A friend of mine bought an '85 750 when they first came out. I had an '83 GPZ 750 Kawasaki tariff bike at the time and it was pretty dam* hard to keep up with him as I recall. Beautiful looking bike in my opinion, stylistically one of the best looking bikes ever made. The later GSXR's kinda' flattened out or else we just got used to them, but seeing the '85 for the first time was just stunning.

I've owned a couple of 1200 Bandits useing that same original a/o cooled engine and it's still a screamer, even with the flattened Bandit cams instead of the lumpier GSXR units. A real feather in Suzuki's cap

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
schizuki
Founding Member

In '83, at age 17, is when the bike bug hit me. Mid-'80s bikes just do it for me, recalling that teenaged lust I felt combing through Cycle World's annual Buyer's Guides. Laverda Corsa? Check. Honda Nighthawk 700S? Check. Kawasaki GPz500? Check. Yamaha RZ350 and FJ1200? Check and check. Ducati F1S? Leave-your-skates check into the boards. Oh, and a little something called an 883 Sportster.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:16 PM   #6
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I didn't know there was a 24-Hours du Mans at Le Mans for motorcycles. Or an Endurance World Championship series. The last year Wikipedia has for the series is 2011, are they still running it?

Suzuki sure seems to be hurting. They're closing their car dealerships nationwide. And there was a story on another website stating they were dissolving powersports dealership contracts from hundreds of multi-line dealers across the US.

Last edited by The Spaceman : 03-29-2013 at 12:28 PM.
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #7
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Suzuki sure seems to be hurting. They're closing their car dealerships nationwide. And there was a story on another website stating they were dissolving powersports dealership contracts from hundreds of multi-line dealers across the US.
Well, they've always struck me as youth-oriented. And youths today aren't only less interested in motorcycles, they're also heavily weighed down with college loan debt and they're one of the biggest cohorts of the unemployed. No cash, no credit, no bike.

Just my off-the-cuff theory.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:53 PM   #8
ShamanWS6
Founding Member

I've owned a pile of Suzukis, including a 175whp 2006 version that I lightened up and just sold to make room for a RSV4. And the best of the bunch was my 750.
2009 GSX-R 600 (RACE #100)
2008 GSX-R 1000 (RACE #100)
2008 KX 450F
2007 Tuono 1000R
http://www.trackfanatics.ca/
ShamanWS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #9
Dennis Chung
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I didn't know there was a 24-Hours du Mans at Le Mans for motorcycles. Or an Endurance World Championship series. The last year Wikipedia has for the series is 2011, are they still running it?

The Le Mans 24Hours is still running, as is the series. Suzuki has won the last three Endurance World Championships and 10 of the last 13. Here's the 2013 schedule: Events*|*Endurance*|*World Championships*|*Sport*|*Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

Regarding the dealersips, initial estimates turned out to be high, but yes, Suzuki dissolved 98 dealers out of its network of 930, so about 10.5%. Suzuki says the decision was purely based on performance, with those 10.5% combining for just 2.5% of revenues from the past year and 2.7% from the last three years.
Dennis Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:54 AM   #10
Kess
Registered Member

Talking

I am currently rebuilding and restoring, ( as much as I am able to), a 1985 GSXR 750 F which I understand to be the Japaneese Domestic Model, with the electronic NEAS, VM29SS carbs and Fluid Clutch. It is a project that I started in 2010 when I bought the bike for just a few hundred pounds. After recovering from a non-biking injury, I am now at full throttle to get this bike back on the road so that I can enjoy it, (hopefully in the summer months).

This model is I think is quite special as it was the sire that has bred many models. I dont the insect like noses of the new bikes look very good even if they more aerodynamic. The older bikes just seem to have much better lines.

Anyhow, if you interested in seeing how this restoration is going, I have a blog which can be found here: The GSXR750 Rebuild Project

Kess is offline   Reply With Quote