Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Suzuki GSX-R History (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20918-suzuki-gsx-r-history.html)

Administrator 03-28-2013 10:09 AM

Suzuki GSX-R History

Original Article:
Suzuki GSX-R History

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Suzuki GSX-R History in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 03-28-2013 04:51 PM

Nice

Nice retrospective. I always liked the 750 best for some reason. Maybe one will end up in my dream garage.

Duken4evr 03-29-2013 06:19 AM

A friend of mine bought an '86 1100 new and still has it. Rode that thing in '88 when I first met him, what an eye opener that bike was back then. His '86 is still pristine and nicely modded. He keeps it around but rarely rides it. Reminds him of his youth I guess.

Funny when he fires that thing up, the old air/oil cooled mill has a deep rustly sound to it, aided by a period short and open V&H can which does not do a whole lot of actual silencing. Time has moved on, but the sound and midrange pull that bike has are still exciting, all these years later.

A pic from back then. My buddy digging a hole in the Cal State Long Beach parking lot. It was a tradition, when the Metzler ME1s wore out.

sarnali2 03-29-2013 09:49 AM

A friend of mine bought an '85 750 when they first came out. I had an '83 GPZ 750 Kawasaki tariff bike at the time and it was pretty dam* hard to keep up with him as I recall. Beautiful looking bike in my opinion, stylistically one of the best looking bikes ever made. The later GSXR's kinda' flattened out or else we just got used to them, but seeing the '85 for the first time was just stunning.

I've owned a couple of 1200 Bandits useing that same original a/o cooled engine and it's still a screamer, even with the flattened Bandit cams instead of the lumpier GSXR units. A real feather in Suzuki's cap

schizuki 03-29-2013 10:55 AM

In '83, at age 17, is when the bike bug hit me. Mid-'80s bikes just do it for me, recalling that teenaged lust I felt combing through Cycle World's annual Buyer's Guides. Laverda Corsa? Check. Honda Nighthawk 700S? Check. Kawasaki GPz500? Check. Yamaha RZ350 and FJ1200? Check and check. Ducati F1S? Leave-your-skates check into the boards. Oh, and a little something called an 883 Sportster.

The Spaceman 03-29-2013 11:16 AM

I didn't know there was a 24-Hours du Mans at Le Mans for motorcycles. Or an Endurance World Championship series. The last year Wikipedia has for the series is 2011, are they still running it?

Suzuki sure seems to be hurting. They're closing their car dealerships nationwide. And there was a story on another website stating they were dissolving powersports dealership contracts from hundreds of multi-line dealers across the US.

schizuki 03-29-2013 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280875)
Suzuki sure seems to be hurting. They're closing their car dealerships nationwide. And there was a story on another website stating they were dissolving powersports dealership contracts from hundreds of multi-line dealers across the US.

Well, they've always struck me as youth-oriented. And youths today aren't only less interested in motorcycles, they're also heavily weighed down with college loan debt and they're one of the biggest cohorts of the unemployed. No cash, no credit, no bike.

Just my off-the-cuff theory.

ShamanWS6 03-31-2013 06:53 PM

I've owned a pile of Suzukis, including a 175whp 2006 version that I lightened up and just sold to make room for a RSV4. And the best of the bunch was my 750.

Dennis Chung 04-01-2013 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280875)
I didn't know there was a 24-Hours du Mans at Le Mans for motorcycles. Or an Endurance World Championship series. The last year Wikipedia has for the series is 2011, are they still running it?

The Le Mans 24Hours is still running, as is the series. Suzuki has won the last three Endurance World Championships and 10 of the last 13. Here's the 2013 schedule: Events*|*Endurance*|*World Championships*|*Sport*|*Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme

Regarding the dealersips, initial estimates turned out to be high, but yes, Suzuki dissolved 98 dealers out of its network of 930, so about 10.5%. Suzuki says the decision was purely based on performance, with those 10.5% combining for just 2.5% of revenues from the past year and 2.7% from the last three years.

Kess 05-19-2013 02:54 AM

I am currently rebuilding and restoring, ( as much as I am able to), a 1985 GSXR 750 F which I understand to be the Japaneese Domestic Model, with the electronic NEAS, VM29SS carbs and Fluid Clutch. It is a project that I started in 2010 when I bought the bike for just a few hundred pounds. After recovering from a non-biking injury, I am now at full throttle to get this bike back on the road so that I can enjoy it, (hopefully in the summer months).

This model is I think is quite special as it was the sire that has bred many models. I dont the insect like noses of the new bikes look very good even if they more aerodynamic. The older bikes just seem to have much better lines.

Anyhow, if you interested in seeing how this restoration is going, I have a blog which can be found here: The GSXR750 Rebuild Project