Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Tune Up for Spring and a New Riding Season (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20873-tune-up-for-spring-new-riding-season.html)

Administrator 03-01-2013 10:12 AM

Tune Up for Spring and a New Riding Season

Original Article:
Tune Up for Spring and a New Riding Season

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Tune Up for Spring and a New Riding Season in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 03-04-2013 05:47 AM

It's good that you mentioned checking wheel spokes. A mechanic at Rossmeyer started checking spokes on all his customer bikes after noticing his own spokes were loose. He found almost every bike he checked had at least a few loose, many bikes were much worse with wheels out of true, or worse.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I understand that you can spot loose spokes by tapping them with a screwdriver handle and listening to the sound. A nice "ting" sound indicates they are a least snug, a dull sound means they're loose.

Buzglyd 03-04-2013 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280511)
It's good that you mentioned checking wheel spokes. A mechanic at Rossmeyer started checking spokes on all his customer bikes after noticing his own spokes were loose. He found almost every bike he checked had at least a few loose, many bikes were much worse with wheels out of true, or worse.

I'm not an expert by any means, but I understand that you can spot loose spokes by tapping them with a screwdriver handle and listening to the sound. A nice "ting" sound indicates they are a least snug, a dull sound means they're loose.

If anyone's an expert on having a screw loose, it's you!

The Spaceman 03-04-2013 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 280513)
If anyone's an expert on having a screw loose, it's you!

Buzz will be here all week, folks. Tell your friends!

Kevin_Duke 03-04-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280511)

You bring up a good point. Modern motorcycles need such little maintenance that checking spoke tension gets neglected. Thanks for the reminder.