Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   ReadyRamp Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20837-readyramp-review.html)

Administrator 02-12-2013 03:07 PM

ReadyRamp Review

Original Article:
ReadyRamp Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article ReadyRamp Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

pushrod 02-13-2013 10:02 AM

Nice writeup, TRod!

I've been lusting after a ReadyRamp for a couple of years, but a system has never made it to the top of my buy list.

Note that the caption for the shot of the ramp where it 'engages' the tailgate is incorrect. It describes the rubber feet.

ShamanWS6 02-13-2013 11:47 AM

Before buying, I think I would want to see it reviewed with a full-sized truck like the Tundra, Sierra. My Sierra is so tall that I often have to find a way to park the truck in such a way to make the ramp angle better. Thankfully my driveway is on quite an angle and that helps loading, but I have an 8' ramp.

Anyways, thanks for bringing the product to my attention.

The Spaceman 02-13-2013 01:23 PM

That's a steep angle off the truck in the last photo. I used to have to load bikes in customer trucks with a similar ramp at Rossmeyer HD. Frankly, it was pretty scary to gun a 800 lb FLH up that ramp. Too slow and the rear wheel would slip, too fast and I'd bash the front wheel into the front of the bed. I could do it, but I never liked it.

I'll take a nice low trailer, thanks very much.

SpeedwayRN 02-13-2013 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 280150)
That's a steep angle off the truck in the last photo. I used to have to load bikes in customer trucks with a similar ramp at Rossmeyer HD. Frankly, it was pretty scary to gun a 800 lb FLH up that ramp. Too slow and the rear wheel would slip, too fast and I'd bash the front wheel into the front of the bed. I could do it, but I never liked it.

I'll take a nice low trailer, thanks very much.

agreed you still have to park the truck uphill or even better just get a trailer unless you loading dirtbikes or something 400# or less. Otherwise thats a long way up for a heavy street bike.

pushrod 02-13-2013 03:37 PM

I usually haul my bike (in the odd occasions I do haul it) in my Tundra. I have a couple conventional ramps, and the angle is certainly an issue.

So, I place the rear tires of the truck in a ditch, which lowers the tailgate quite a bit. Makes for a much less dramatic evolution. If I have no help, I'll also place two pairs of 4X4 chunks of wood under the front tires. When I do that, I almost don't need the ramp!

The Spaceman 02-14-2013 06:53 AM

I had a customer flatten his rear tires to load a bike once. It made a real difference. When his bike was loaded, he pulled out a 12Vdc compressor and aired up again.

Duken4evr 02-18-2013 06:39 PM

I have had the older version of this ramp for probably 10 years now. It has never failed. Loaded sport bikes (TL1000) and lots of dirt bikes with it. Actually got rid of the truck (have a trailer instead) and still have the ramp.

Agree with the others about the angle of the ramp. When loading a street bike, I like to back the truck up to a curb until the rear wheels hit, or at least the apron in my driveway to lower the angle. Dirt bikes I don't worry too much, as they are easy to handle.

One peace of mind trick, especially if you use the engine to power a heavy bike up the ramp - install a tie down around one of the rungs, and secure it to the truck via one of the hitch loops and cinch it. This prevents the ramp from potentially spitting out from under the bike.

When I was younger and a bit crazier, I often just rode my dirt bike right up the ramp and into the bed. :)

The_AirHawk 02-18-2013 07:46 PM

I use a cheap $99 aluminium bi-fold from Tractor Supply. Had it 12-years now, only bent a couple of rungs a bit.

But then, Ima wuss, and like to "power up" the bike and walk alongside it.

This one's bed-extender function is appealing, though. Especially as truck-beds are getting shorter and shorter as "Crew Cabs" become more-popular. (my '99 Ram Excab is JUST long-enough too put the average bike in and close the tailgate - it'll hold two sport/UJM's, if you angle them like this "/\" - my friend's '03 Ram does NOT close the gate)

seruzawa 02-18-2013 07:57 PM

Jeez. I just use a 2x12 board with an aluminum lip from JC Whitney. The Tiger fits in the 6 1/2' bed of the K2500 at a slight angle. I just push the front wheel into the left corner of the bed and strap it down. Works great.