Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 02-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #11
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
The plan for my own personal road to geezerville is something like the new CB1100F and then maybe something like one of these new Honda CTXs.
I resemble that remark.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2013, 10:58 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Traditional, old-timey riders like us are known to have conservative tastes. But we're not the target market. I can appreciate the vision of people needing a bike like this. We'll have to see if the 20-something market agrees. They'll give their verdict on the sales floor. It'll be interesting to see how it does.
Is there a 20-something market? I know the median age of m/c buyers went down from 43 to 40 last year, indicating new, younger buyers. But I have to wonder: if bikes like the CTX don't offer a compelling performance benefit, would a young buyer choose a bike over a car? The price of a supersport vs. a new Scion is about the same. What's going to drive the buy decision? When I was 16, "On Any Sunday" was the best movie I'd ever seen. Everybody I knew had, was buying, or wanted a bike. I don't see anything like that today, which is unfortunate, because there's never been a better time to be engaged in motorcycling.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:41 PM   #13
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Interest (ing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Is there a 20-something market? I know the median age of m/c buyers went down from 43 to 40 last year, indicating new, younger buyers. But I have to wonder: if bikes like the CTX don't offer a compelling performance benefit, would a young buyer choose a bike over a car? The price of a supersport vs. a new Scion is about the same. What's going to drive the buy decision? When I was 16, "On Any Sunday" was the best movie I'd ever seen. Everybody I knew had, was buying, or wanted a bike. I don't see anything like that today, which is unfortunate, because there's never been a better time to be engaged in motorcycling.
When I started riding it was for the love of it. The financial investment was always above and beyond my normal course of expense, meaning it was a luxury. One would think it is the same for younger riders today. Living in the northeast winters were brutal so I was only able to ride a portion of the calendar year. I would love to see some real customer/market data especially from the manufacturers. Things like sales numbers by type, region along with any correlating demographic data, market share real numbers. I am curious but I doubt the decision is bike vs. car. Except maybe for the decidedly few extremists.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #14
schizuki
Founding Member

There are plenty of bikes that aren't for me, but I get them. I may not appreciate them, but I get them.

I do not get this.

Two-wheel transport has to be "cool" in some way to a kid, doesn't it? It can be cheap and still be cool. What seems to be cool to kids today is anything that caters to their narcissism. Their bike has to reflect them in some way. A cheap cafe bike is retro-cool. A scooter is geek-cool. Even a budget adventure bike can be outdoor-cool.

You know what's not cool? Practicality and value. This looks like the Saturn of bikes.

With the saddlebags and fairing, I can see it selling to downsizing Goldwing riders. New riders? Not so much.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #15
Duken4evr
Founding Member

These young guys are decidedly way cool. Cooler than I ever was or could ever hope to be. Perhaps there is hope after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQob...layer_embedded
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
Styling issues aside I also am glad to see this line offered by Honda. The pilots of the A-10 Thunderbolt saw the plane as Gorgeous. Functional air dams are not always a thing of beauty. I would have killed for a reasonable priced middle weight bike with the new technology and metallurgy available today in my 20's. If they remain profitable it will be even better.
Speaking of the A-10, they're closing the last Pilot Training Center for that aircraft this Spring near Ft. Smith, AR, as the slowest, toughest, biggest airborn-squirrelly-rifle is phased into oblivion.

Because the Commander has a Stellar record as operating the safest, most-efficient base the military has (across all four branches of the service), they've elected to keep it open - a Predator Drone flight-training base.

Beats the total-axe, which is what it was slated-for, I suppose.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
12er
Founding Member

werent they decomed about 5 or 6 times now, the a-10's that is. Love that plane.
12er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #18
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Occurs to me, with it's laydown engine design, one could modify their Honda CTX 700 wth the optional decomissioned A-10 sourced surplus 30mm Avenger gatling cannon. That would clear traffic and toughen up the image. Might need some stiffer fork springs though

Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:04 AM   #19
SpeedwayRN
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
These young guys are decidedly way cool. Cooler than I ever was or could ever hope to be. Perhaps there is hope after all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQob...layer_embedded
The operating of the earth moving equipment was almost as appealing to me....
everytime they landed my back was thanking me I was not actually doing that! I was there in spirit though...
SpeedwayRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:34 AM   #20
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default W.w.m.a.

When it comes to wine, women, motorcycles and airplanes all you need to know is what you like. One mans A10 is another mans Multistrada.