Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Affordable Riding in the New Year (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20818-affordable-riding-new-year.html)

Administrator 02-05-2013 02:00 PM

Affordable Riding in the New Year

Original Article:
Affordable Riding in the New Year

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Affordable Riding in the New Year in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 02-06-2013 07:28 AM

Cost?

What market data do the manufacturers really have? I wonder. Demographics, price points, production costs are but a few decision drivers. What do they really know and when did the know it? Very interesting.

The Spaceman 02-06-2013 08:00 AM

All the print mags are going on about the renaissance of low-cost bikes. I also read recently that for the first time in decades, the average age of m/c buyers was going down. It's not by much, something like from 42 to 40, IIRC. But the indication to the manufacturers is that there is a new younger buyer emerging who is driving the average age statistc down, and those buyers want/need less expensive bikes. Less expensive to purchase, to insure, and to operate. I remember when bikes were considered an alternative to a car that cost a lot less. Nowadays the delta between new bikes and cars just isn't that great; at the Scion dealer I was in Monday they had a little car on the showroom floor for under $14k. Brand new, 4 seats, a/c, stereo, etc. A 600 supersport costs $14k. Which is Dad going to help Jr. buy with that choice? But at under 1/2 the new price like these bikes, the motorcycle looks like a good alternative again.

That Enfield is a nifty looking bike!

jmdonald 02-06-2013 09:42 AM

I like it.

[quote=The Spaceman;27994)
That Enfield is a nifty looking bike![/QUOTE]

The Enfield does have a good look. At one time you could buy one as a kit and do the assembly yourself. Inexpensive these days is 6 To 8 grand?

schizuki 02-07-2013 04:39 PM

"We MO staffers are glutinous consumers of motorcycle technology."

Glutinous?

Really?

seruzawa 02-07-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 279977)

Glutinous?

Really?

Dey been etin' too much grits letely.

schizuki 02-08-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 279982)

Maybe they need a glutton-free diet?

The Spaceman 02-08-2013 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 279977)

Glutinous?

Really?

Well, maybe if they really like the bike:

glu·ti·nous/ˈglutnəs/ Show Spelled [gloot-n-uhs] Show IPA
adjective
of the nature of glue; gluey; viscid; sticky.

Can be confused: glutenous, glutinous, gluttonous.

schizuki 02-08-2013 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 279993)
Well, maybe if they really like the bike:

glu·ti·nous/ˈglutnəs/ Show Spelled [gloot-n-uhs] Show IPA
adjective
of the nature of glue; gluey; viscid; sticky.
]

Ewwwwwww...

Tom Roderick 02-08-2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 279982)

Yes, a misspelling got through editing. Change is coming.