Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 BMW R1200GS Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20801-2013-bmw-r1200gs-review.html)

Administrator 01-29-2013 02:42 PM

2013 BMW R1200GS Review

Original Article:
2013 BMW R1200GS Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 BMW R1200GS Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

SpeedwayRN 01-29-2013 02:54 PM

nice ride....how much it too much weight and too big for an off road bike... Or is this like the 4x4 SUV that has never been off a paved road?

jmdonald 01-29-2013 05:15 PM

Tentative.

I have always liked this bike and with the changes it looks like BMW is making a supreme effort with this offering. I like the other R bikes more however. The GS has always seemed to be too tall to me. I will need to ride one to see if that is really true.

pushrod 01-29-2013 07:19 PM

Nice, but $20 large is a lot of money!

Duken4evr 01-29-2013 07:27 PM

This graphic seems appropriate. Would love to own one of these and go ride every graded dirt road and jeep trail in Colorado. An endeavor worth pursuing for sure. Knowing myself, the bike would go places where it really shouldn't :)

sarnali2 01-30-2013 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 279852)
This graphic seems appropriate. Would love to own one of these and go ride every graded dirt road and jeep trail in Colorado. An endeavor worth pursuing for sure. Knowing myself, the bike would go places where it really shouldn't :)

That's a very good point with these types of bikes. I found myself a couple of times in the back of beyond, at the bottom of long muddy downhill logging roads facing a locked gate and minimal turn around space. Makes for some excitment getting back up. On the plus side these bikes are little tractors and very capable in within their envelope and a little prudence would go along way in keeping you out of trouble.

fastnlight 01-30-2013 10:10 AM

I wonder if the instability you note in this review is related to the crashes during the press launch. No wonder BMW flew in their own investigators....

The Spaceman 01-30-2013 10:34 AM

That beak has gotten ridiculously large. I know it's sorta their trademark, but damn, you could hang panniers off that thing and double your storage capacity.

The water-cooling will be welcomed by the GS riders stuck in traffic at Bike Week. They burn up a couple of bikes every year trying to get down Main Street or out to the beach from I-95. It might be useful out in the desert too...

seruzawa 01-30-2013 09:41 PM

Who cares about these Bavarian tractors? I want gear driven overhead cams, not a 2wheeled pimp car.

JBMotorcycle 01-31-2013 09:36 AM

Nice bikes, but too fancy for me. Seems like alot of extra garbage on there that just adds to the price tag. I don't want traction control on my bike, especially if I plan to go off pavement with it.