Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20789-2013-sport-touring-shootout-1-0-video.html)

Administrator 01-22-2013 02:45 PM

2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video

Original Article:
2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 01-22-2013 03:29 PM

Surprised

The R1200RT is looking better and better.

SpeedwayRN 01-22-2013 03:54 PM

What about the new Triumph???

seruzawa 01-22-2013 06:25 PM

Nice shootout. Honda better do something about that pig of a "sport tourer". (Don't make me laugh). The FJR and Kwacker seem pretty nice.

Still don't see any reason to trade in the Tiger1050 though. 500lbs beats them all by a mile.

Buzglyd 01-22-2013 07:21 PM

I saw a guy test riding a new trophy two days ago. I was riding past the local bmw dealer and though it was an RT until I saw the plate.

It's a shameless ripoff and Triumph should be embarrassed.

Rick84 01-22-2013 10:36 PM

Fjr

You guys list the ST1300 fuel capacity as 6.6gal and state that it has "the largest tank" altough that's the same number as the FJR1300. Looking further into it, Honda states the ST1300 has a 7.7gal tank.

2012 ST1300 ABS Specifications - Honda Powersports

Duken4evr 01-23-2013 06:46 AM

Nice test guys. Sounds like Yamaha really listened to FJR owners and addressed what they could with the revamp, while keeping the price in line.

Spent some time on a friend's older FJR, really liked the engine, lots of torque down low, strong all through the range, always ready to rock, but completely usable. It has good smooth power and the right amount of flywheel effect. The "feel" of the power is right and well integrated for the bike's purpose. My friend's older bike handled well, but I ran into dragging footpegs pretty quickly on the mountain roads we were on. Good to see Yamaha addressed that.

I could see buying a clean used '13 FJR down the line at some point. It sounds like a good well balanced and relatively affordable package.

bbtowns 01-23-2013 07:52 AM

Great review

Great relevant review of a category that actually might influence a future purchase. I've put a lot of time in on the Kawasaki and older gen FJR, and was a bit surprised at how it came out, but understand the FJR has improved. My take was that the Kawi was way faster when revved, and I kept searching for a 6th on FJR out of habit. Even the dyno chart shows the Kawi making 15 more hp, which was called minute, but is pretty significant, however gearing must make a big difference, and with a shaft drive you get what you get. All these bikes weigh too much, but the FJR was a pretty close match on handling previously, and presume the new model improves that. Just gotta wait for a used one!

Tom Roderick 01-23-2013 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick84 (Post 279730)
You guys list the ST1300 fuel capacity as 6.6gal and state that it has "the largest tank" altough that's the same number as the FJR1300. Looking further into it, Honda states the ST1300 has a 7.7gal tank.

2012 ST1300 ABS Specifications - Honda Powersports

The Honda's fuel capacity was incorrectly listed. It is being corrected to 7.7 gallons.

The Spaceman 01-24-2013 06:39 AM

Oh No LoLo

If you guys had the cajones of the Euro-Moto-Journos, you'd ride each bike off a 15' seawall and drop them on a concrete dock. And, you could test rider gear like armored jackets and padded pants by crash landing in a sailboat penispit as each the bike hit the dock.