Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Sport-Touring Shootout 1.0 - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20789-2013-sport-touring-shootout-1-0-video.html)

sarnali2 01-25-2013 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 279756)
W could come up with some kind of even and odd day schedule. Like we do with the puffy hat.

Yeah, it's not out of the question......

yarongev 01-25-2013 01:47 PM

missing

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 279719)
The R1200RT is looking better and better.

I also feel that the bimmer is missing in the review.
love reading your articles, thank you.
yaron

jmdonald 01-25-2013 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yarongev (Post 279770)
I also feel that the bimmer is missing in the review.
love reading your articles, thank you.
yaron

They are planning a shoot out to include the BMW the Trophy and the FJR. It should be a good one. MO excels at all things.

yarongev 01-25-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sacamano (Post 279751)
Can anyone who's ridden these compare them to the BMW R1200 RT?

3 months ago I'v been in europe for 2500 km trip on the ST.
I am riding R1200RT for two years now (after many years on R1150RT), and can compare the two.
the ST feels havier, and lack the stability in high speeds.
it is smoother then the bimmer due to 4 cylinder engine Vs a boxer.
it does not vibrate as much (I don't mind).
I did'nt like the sound of it (like a sawing machine).
good mpg.
good cornering (depends on the driver).
no heating in hands or seat.
good trunk and gloves compartment ( one is lockable).
all in all, the best comparison was when I came back from the trip and got back on my bike...
if you have a spesific question, please feel free to ask.
the bimmer is a better package IMO.
yaron

schizuki 01-26-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 279742)
If you guys had the cajones of the Euro-Moto-Journos, you'd ride each bike off a 15' seawall and drop them on a concrete dock. And, you could test rider gear like armored jackets and padded pants by crash landing in a sailboat penispit as each the bike hit the dock.

One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.

Kevin_Duke 01-26-2013 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 279788)
One thing I always worry about with saddlebags is the width. You can forget they're back there when you're trying to squeeze in somewhere. The European concrete-post-clearance test is invaluable for that, and MO should be embarrassed at this massive void in their testing protocol.

The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)

commsoft 01-26-2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 279794)
The extra width of bags is easy enough to deal with after a bit of time. As for the "test" you refer to, we are already quite certain of the results. :)

I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!

seruzawa 01-26-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commsoft (Post 279797)
I've been street riding for over 20 years and while I never had a mishap, I still never got over the nervousness about bumping someone with my saddlebags while riding.

I recently swapped my Sprint ST for a BMW C650GT in part for this reason (though the increased comfort was also a big factor here) - with the top case, the scooter form factor affords almost 100 liters of storage without that width in the rear. It makes it easier and more comfortable to lane split, to park in the city, etc., without even considering the "throwing your ass into the canal" factor. ;-)

You give up some engine size for that of course, but 60hp is more than enough for comfortable speed on most any road in the US (it accelerates fast enough to easily outrun most from a stop light and will do 90 comfortably for those L.A. freeways). schizuki, you might want to give a maxi-scooter a try!

That's a good point because when I visit L.A. with my Tiger I remove the sidecases when I'm planning to lane split. They just stick out too far. And the bike's so damm tall that they are perfect for clipping mirrors.

dan_man 02-26-2013 12:09 AM

Best weather protection, handling, comfort/ergos, mileage and range. That makes the Honda ST1300 the winner in my book. The ST1300 seems to be downgraded for nothing more than it's weight. Having toured for 10 years on a VFR800 and fearing for my life more than once in the seemingly ever present cross winds of eastern Washington state, I much prefer the stability that the weight of my ST1300 gives me now. I also use GIVI's largest top case and haven't had any stability issues with the ST1300.

sarnali2 02-26-2013 08:44 AM

If it's road holding weight you're after there's only one clear choice.......