Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer vs. 2013 Triumph Thruxton - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20745-2013-moto-guzzi-v7-racer-vs-2013-triumph-thruxton-video.html)

Administrator 12-27-2012 07:29 AM

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer vs. 2013 Triumph Thruxton - Video

Original Article:
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer vs. 2013 Triumph Thruxton - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer vs. 2013 Triumph Thruxton - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

sarnali2 12-27-2012 11:56 AM

Both look totally cool, I'd take the Thruxton just because I love Triumph but the Guzzi has a place in Cafe` Racer style, just look at Davida Girl if there's any doubt. Plus with the chrome tank and red frame it reminds me of the Super Rat my Da bought me when I was 10. Totally cool.

Funny how we go full circle, I grew up with this type of bike, have been amazed at the new technology available now but still stick to retro types. I have to say the EFI and 'lectronic ignition on my Heritage beats the Bendix and points on my last Shovelhead, just as the Mikuni and 'lectrics on my last T100 beat the Amal and Zeneir diode on my first Tiger

sliphorn 12-27-2012 01:32 PM

Thanks for the comparo guys. Well done! What about mpg? Methinks the V7 would win in that department. And sound? Man, the Guzzi sounds magical. Ain't nothin' quite like it.

I'm still deciding between the new V7 Stone and the Piaggio BV 350.

Like most things it'll probably come down to money.

I just gotta own 1 Italian two wheeler before I meet my maker. At least that's what I've been telling myself the last 10 years.

itchface 12-27-2012 02:34 PM

A correction is in order. Triumph, the factory, is European. The Thruxton, however, is from Thailand (as well as an increasing number of other Triumph motorcycles).

Folks should be aware of this before splurging on their "European" dream machine, I think.

jonnychampagne 12-27-2012 02:41 PM

HEy SLiphorn-

Yeah the Guzzi sounds sweet. The Thrux has a smoother tone, but the optional Arrow slip-ons beef it up nicely.

As for MPG numbers, you'd be surprised. The Thruxton did slightly better, at about 43 - but I spent more time on the freeway on it than I did the Racer, so I didn't feel it was quite fair to compare, essentially, city v highway riding.
I tried to pound home the point that it wasn't really a fair fight in a lot of respects ;) - that was just another. But that one wasn't the fault of the bike, but the type of riding I did on it.
Check out Fuelly | Share and Compare Your MPG, a user-driven fuel economy site where people post their own numbers for all kinds of vehicles - cars, too. Pretty interesting ...
JL

Kevin_Duke 12-27-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchface (Post 279280)
A correction is in order. Triumph, the factory, is European. The Thruxton, however, is from Thailand (as well as an increasing number of other Triumph motorcycles).

Folks should be aware of this before splurging on their "European" dream machine, I think.

I get what you mean, and we could've mentioned where the Thruxton was built, but it would be a mistake to call the Thruxton a Thai bike. Like the Thai-built CBR250 and CRF250, they're still Japanese bikes.

Fangit1 12-27-2012 05:53 PM

Wanna love that Guzzi but come on - 40 hp from a 750!!! That is embarassing and disgraceful in this day and age. Even the mildy tuned Aprilia Shiver 750 V twin makes double that. 50 or 60 hp should be easily achievable. I like the looks (apart from those poxy intake covers) but I'm sorry it may look the part but would surely struggle to keep up with many scooters. And it's pricey as well. Methinks the Ducati Sport retro bikes would be head and shoulders above both of these bikes. At least you get some reasonable performance to go with the retro looks.

sliphorn 12-27-2012 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangit1 (Post 279284)
Wanna love that Guzzi but come on - 40 hp from a 750!!! That is embarassing and disgraceful in this day and age. Even the mildy tuned Aprilia Shiver 750 V twin makes double that. 50 or 60 hp should be easily achievable. I like the looks (apart from those poxy intake covers) but I'm sorry it may look the part but would surely struggle to keep up with many scooters. And it's pricey as well. Methinks the Ducati Sport retro bikes would be head and shoulders above both of these bikes. At least you get some reasonable performance to go with the retro looks.

The Guzzi isn't about power. Sort of like the 883 Sporty. It's a whole different ball game. I rode the V7 Stone and it was plenty 'nuff for it's intended role.
In fact, I enjoyed it because of what it is. I've got a 1050 Sprint for madness. The V7 is just plain FUN.

I recommend a test ride.

seruzawa 12-27-2012 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itchface (Post 279280)

Eh. Bike and car companies are incestuous. Barely half of a Harley is built of USA parts. BMW outsources to China. Volvo builds diesel engines for Benz. The list goes on and on.

Jayl 12-28-2012 07:38 AM

Ooh, dodgy moment for the Guzzi rider aroud the 48sec point of the video review.