Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-22-2012, 06:30 AM   #21
commsoft
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Funny thing is, aside from local trips, I would much rather do a cross country tour on one of these Maxi Scooters than my current bike, which has little wind protection, no storage, a comparatively hard narrow seat which slowly roasts my a$$ with engine heat in the summer and 35 mpg fuel economy.

My liter class sportish bike will do 80 in 1st gear, is capable of freeway speed power wheelies even here in Denver at 7,000 feet and it goes like a bat out hell in general (good for the midlife crisis I suppose) but it can't begin to match the versatility of one of these scooters. I have seen the maxi scooter Kool-Aid and understand it. Don't want to get rid of my semi comfortable but still very impractical stupid fast bike though. I want both
Yeah, this was my debate too - I traded my Sprint ST for the C650GT and was thinking about keeping both until the moment I handed them the keys (and had gotten permission from the wife to do so). But I realized after riding them back to back a couple of times that the power I was giving up was not worth the sacrifice in comfort and that the occasions I'd choose the big bike would be rare indeed (perhaps even only for the track), and not enough to be worth the insurance and garage space.

Of course, if they'll just make me a C1600GT, then even that minor compromise will be eliminated.
commsoft is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-22-2012, 07:21 AM   #22
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Interesting Commsoft. You are a maxi scooter pioneer. Seems to me these things would rock for laid back long distance touring.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:22 AM   #23
commsoft
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Interesting Commsoft. You are a maxi scooter pioneer. Seems to me these things would rock for laid back long distance touring.
Well, not *too* much of a pioneer, guys have been using Burgmans for touring for a while now. The Beemer is just a further evolution of the concept, not altogether surprising since this is a big target market for them. I will actually use it for this too - I plan to ride it back and forth from SF to LA regularly, to go to the BMWMOA rally in Oregon this year, on trips to Vegas, etc. (And I bought the top case and GPS toward these ends.) It's so comfy and practical, a huge change from previous bikes I've had. If it came with cruise control it'd be nearly perfect, but I can add this easily enough.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #24
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by commsoft View Post
Well, not *too* much of a pioneer, guys have been using Burgmans for touring for a while now.
I wonder if anyone has done an IB SaddleSore or ButtBurner on a scooter yet... Maybe there's still a record to be set.
Old 12-23-2012, 02:46 AM   #25
commsoft
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I wonder if anyone has done an IB SaddleSore or ButtBurner on a scooter yet... Maybe there's still a record to be set.
I googled and it looks like it's been done, and on much smaller scoots than this! There's a couple of guys on the Modern Vespa forum who've done it. Of course, it'll likely be a little easier on the GT since the little ones are pretty wrung out at freeway speed.

I'm not an IB aspirant though, I just wanted to be able to use it both for touring and for use in the city, and for everyday use in lane splitting, parking, etc., the scooter form factor felt preferable to a GT or GTL (which I considered and liked too). It gives up a little storage space to the GTL, but it's 4" narrower and will still hold nearly 100 liters with the top case (I've put several bags of groceries in it), so this doesn't seem like much of a sacrifice. The Sport model is even better in this regard (narrower for lane splitting) if you're willing to sacrifice even more of the storage, but for me, the GT was about as good a compromise as it gets.
Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 AM   #26
sliphorn
Registered Member

As of late, Triumph seems to have painted a bullseye on BMW's backside.

Wouldn't it be something if Triumph developed a maxi scoot with their 675 triple stuffed in it.

That's something I'd like to see.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #27
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliphorn View Post
As of late, Triumph seems to have painted a bullseye on BMW's backside.

Wouldn't it be something if Triumph developed a maxi scoot with their 675 triple stuffed in it.

That's something I'd like to see.
Maxi scooter wars would be awesome. The BMW is quick but it could do a lot better.

The Gurney Alligator reborn!
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
commsoft
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Maxi scooter wars would be awesome. The BMW is quick but it could do a lot better.

The Gurney Alligator reborn!
Would love that! Give me the C1600GT!