Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Triumph Daytona 675R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20738-2013-triumph-daytona-675r-review.html)

Administrator 12-17-2012 01:17 PM

2013 Triumph Daytona 675R Review

Original Article:
2013 Triumph Daytona 675R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Triumph Daytona 675R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 12-17-2012 01:55 PM

Top Choice

As a Triumph fan there is not a whole lot not to like about his bike. Focused subjectivism is a good thing.

pdad13 12-17-2012 06:22 PM

Christ, there goes more of my money.

I have an '07 that I'm not parting with. This could ruin my plan of buying a sport-tourer.

I was skeptical that the new bike could be much better than the 1st and 2nd generation bikes. Based on the three reviews I've read so far, which were practically orgasmic, I might have been wrong.

As far as the higher asking price goes, ABS (which comes on all U.S. 675s) and the other assorted trinkets cost money. Add that to less-than-favorable exchange rates and a hybernating supersport market, and, well, there's no free lunch. The bike has been completely re-engineered, too.

Get used to it. They're all expensive now.

The Spaceman 12-18-2012 06:30 AM

I've read three reviews on the new Daytona, and none of them covered the engine updates as MO did here. Good for you, I love that stuff, especially when its accompanied by drawings and diagrams.

The bike is not my "cuppa," but I'm glad its there for those who want it!

schizuki 12-18-2012 05:09 PM

They turned a beautiful bike butt-ugly.

sarnali2 12-19-2012 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 279201)
They turned a beautiful bike butt-ugly.

Triumph has a real knack for doing that...

pdad13 12-19-2012 09:22 AM

There was a lot of discussion about that on the owners forums. Oh, and the moaning about dumping the projector headlights (which suck, by the way) was deafening.

This is one of those bikes that doesn't photograph in 2D very well. Particularly in Triumph's studio shots, it looks like it has odd proportions.

But there are a lot of subtleties that get lost in the still shots. When you see it on video, you get a better impression of how it looks in the flesh. And it's a lot better. The details especially are nicer than the old bike. And there wasn't a lot wrong with that one.

That said, I think the original silhouette is more distinctive and flat out beautiful. This one, not quite. It's a bit more generic sportbike in some ways. That wouldn't stop me from buying one, though.

Some vids and better stills here:

TRIUMPH Daytona 675 & 675 R 2013 - EICMA 2012 - YouTube

2013 Triumph Daytona 675- Daytona 675R - First Look Review – Cycle World

schizuki 12-20-2012 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdad13 (Post 279213)
It's a bit more generic sportbike in some ways.

I'll say. It looks as Japanese as the first Daytona 600.

The Spaceman 12-21-2012 05:33 AM

I'll miss the underseat exhausts. Sure they suck in every way except appearance, but so what?

schizuki 12-22-2012 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 279234)
I'll miss the underseat exhausts. Sure they suck in every way except appearance, but so what?

I'm with you. I have no problem with stylistic compromise.

BTW, your sig is awesome.