Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   EPA E-miles numbers being cooked. (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20731-epa-e-miles-numbers-being-cooked.html)

seruzawa 12-12-2012 10:52 AM

EPA E-miles numbers being cooked.

The EPA's Electric Vehicle Mileage Fraud - Forbes

Nice write up of the EPA's new "standards".

sarnali2 12-12-2012 12:38 PM

That's impossible. The EPA is a Government Agency and as such is held to the highest proffessional and ethical standards, if they say the POS gets 100 miles to the gallon you can darn well bet it does and more!

Sheesh.........

jmdonald 12-12-2012 12:46 PM

Truth

It is so comforting to know the statist truth tellers are looking out for us doing everything in their power to make sure we are not misled. Fraud is only fraud when it is committed by those evil executives.

The Spaceman 12-12-2012 01:29 PM

Imagine how hard it's going to be when they start posting numbers for hydrogen cars.

Have you seen the Leaf ad where the driver comes home and plugs the house into the car and it lights up? I think a fuel-cell car what they're implying.

Buzglyd 12-12-2012 02:16 PM

Cycle World casually mentioned the testing procedure in one E-test and it was a total joke (even if they don't point it out too strongly.)

I recall the test was a short loop with an average speed of 17 mph. You know, real world!

pdad13 12-12-2012 02:35 PM

Oy, I'm not sure I should even comment here.

I'd be all for these things if someone, anyone, could tell the truth about them.

Edit: Wait, it seems he's got the conversion factor backwards. I don't know if he just wrote the wrong conversion factor or miscalculated using the wrong conversion factor. I'm too tired and busy to do the math now. Someone help.

Buzglyd 12-12-2012 09:09 PM

The article didn't mention the test itself is a fraud.

This is from a CW test of the Zero:

The greatest claimed range is 114 miles in the city for the ZF9-equipped S, a figure based on the EPA’s UDDS (urban dynamometer driving schedule) test. We looked at the details of the EPA test online and can see how the Zero would make the number. The UDDS runs 7.45 miles and has an average speed of less than 20 mph. The vehicle comes to a complete stop 17 times and runs faster than 50 mph for all of 70 seconds. Acceleration is extremely modest. This could be real world for someone, but it wasn’t for us.

It's as if Big Oil! Invented that test. Instead Big Green in concert with Big Gov't did.

Kenneth wants to buy a relic replica Honda.

I say, "good choice."

The Spaceman 12-13-2012 05:23 AM

Fraud:
"deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage."

Explain to me how the EPA is perpetrating "fraud" when they publish their test methodology for anyone to see (including the guy who wrote Seru's article).

Buzglyd 12-13-2012 05:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 279057)
Fraud:
"deceit, trickery, sharp practice, or breach of confidence, perpetrated for profit or to gain some unfair or dishonest advantage."

Explain to me how the EPA is perpetrating "fraud" when they publish their test methodology for anyone to see (including the guy who wrote Seru's article).

So you already knew about that test loop?

Nice try. Don't hurt your back moving those goal posts. I hope you forgive my vocabulary choices.

I'll let you select the appropriate word to describe that joke of a test.

sarnali2 12-13-2012 07:21 AM

I'd like to see Anne Hathaway's vagina too please....