Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-13-2012, 01:45 PM   #21
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdad13 View Post

If we were comparing just EVs to other EVs, I think a much more useful scale would be MPKWh (Miles per kilowatt hour) or even MPCH (Miles per charge hour), etc., etc.
Yes of course.

I guess I could have added: "to compare cars or bikes of like types" or something like that, but I thought that was clearly implied when I said there was no meaningful comparison between an electric car and a gas car for mileage. Obviously it wasn't.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2012, 03:27 PM   #22
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
I actually think alternative fuels are very promising, but not the way that mess has been handled. We have to figure out how to make enough of a viable fuel. Growing it in the traditional sense ain't gonna cut it.
We don't even have to. We're sitting on such huge old-style energy reserves that OPEC is sh!tting bricks. If we have any hope for recovering from - or somehow dodging - the inevitable sovereign debt collapse, it may well be because of fossil fuels.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #23
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
I'd like to see Anne Hathaway's vagina too please....
I got a few pics of Jane Hathaway's Virgina....

Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #24
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The Irony here is Hard as Steel, man.

Did you read completely through that article?

Then again, you ARE a substantial measure more reasonable that say, ER2 or especially He Who Is TotallyBatshirtBugNuckingFuts.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:37 PM   #25
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
OF COURSE IT'S BULLSHEEIT

What else could they possibly be? You're comparing a car that uses a refined liquid fossil fuel to a car that uses transmitted eletrical energy. Surely you didn't think those numbers were anything else but a fabricated number to use for comparisons, did you?

Hell they've never gotten it right when it's just one type of fuel in one type of engine. Like Mr. Duke said, it's just a number; a scale you hold up to each vehicle to compare.
You were just telling us range has tripled.

I guess bullshyt has tripled.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Except it isn't.

MPGe is presented in a context that is familiar to consumers, in this case, "Miles Per Gallon." One would then have to assume that the relationship between MPG and MPGe is sound and accurate. I believe it's also meant to be a meaningful comparison between fossil fuel-powered vehicles and EVs, but even if it wasn't, the way it's derived all but ensures that it will be used that way.

If we were comparing just EVs to other EVs, I think a much more useful scale would be MPKWh (Miles per kilowatt hour) or even MPCH (Miles per charge hour), etc., etc.

If we're simply referring to the EPA range estimates, Kevin's advice to use it as a measuring stick between EV's is fine, except it still doesn't accurately portray range in a manner that people understand. Since EVs' range suffer at the expense of performance (and vice versa) worse than ICEs, it's a misleading number. We might advise people to take that EPA estimated range and subtract 30 or 40% to get in a realistic ballpark.
Pdiddle, you will drive yourself nuts trying to have a logical argument with our dear KMo.

He can move goal posts with KPaulian vigor.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 01:49 AM   #27
schizuki
Founding Member

An MPG-equivalent measure is just pointless and dumb. We don't rate cars by a Bucket of Oats Per Day equivalent (though the existence of horsepower measurements may undercut my point.)

Tell us how far it goes in an actual real-world test, and how much that range costs at a particular kilowatt/hour rate.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:08 AM   #28
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
The Irony here is Hard as Steel, man.

Did you read completely through that article?

Then again, you ARE a substantial measure more reasonable that say, ER2 or especially He Who Is TotallyBatshirtBugNuckingFuts.
Of course I did. It was a conservative whine session about how the bad old liberals distorted the truth about Plame and Bush and yada yada yada. So what? It doesn't matter to me which side it's coming from, it's all bull**** regardless. The point remains that it's up to the individual to figure out that an "Miles Per Gallon" figure for an electric car cannot be anything but a number somebody made up.

However, I didn't know before reading it that whatever "Platformate" is actually exists in all modern gasoline! Now that's marketing!
Old 12-14-2012, 06:12 AM   #29
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
An MPG-equivalent measure is just pointless and dumb. We don't rate cars by a Bucket of Oats Per Day equivalent (though the existence of horsepower measurements may undercut my point.)

Tell us how far it goes in an actual real-world test, and how much that range costs at a particular kilowatt/hour rate.
That's exactly what I think. It's not that hard to figure out how many cents per mile you spend on gas, likewise it shouldn't be difficult to figure out how many cents per mile you'd spend on recharging your electric car.

AND, doing it this way would also have the benefit of showing people how efficient their local energy provider is compared to other markets. If you're paying (totally off the top here) $.08 per mile to recharge, and the national average is $.05, that's useful information.
Old 12-14-2012, 02:31 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
That's exactly what I think. It's not that hard to figure out how many cents per mile you spend on gas, likewise it shouldn't be difficult to figure out how many cents per mile you'd spend on recharging your electric car.

AND, doing it this way would also have the benefit of showing people how efficient their local energy provider is compared to other markets. If you're paying (totally off the top here) $.08 per mile to recharge, and the national average is $.05, that's useful information.
Dammit! but this place needs a "Like" button.