Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Brammo Empulse R Review - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20725-2013-brammo-empulse-r-review-video.html)

Administrator 12-06-2012 09:43 AM

2013 Brammo Empulse R Review - Video
 

Original Article:
2013 Brammo Empulse R Review - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Brammo Empulse R Review - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Buzglyd 12-06-2012 04:53 PM

To me, the notion of carefully planning my trips around mileage, recharge time, and even riding style makes this a non-starter for me at any price.

You certainly won't be able to wear a Lone Wolf biker jacket with this nor ever take the long way home from work.

The Spaceman 12-07-2012 05:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 278922)
To me, the notion of carefully planning my trips around mileage, recharge time, and even riding style makes this a non-starter for me at any price.

You certainly won't be able to wear a Lone Wolf biker jacket with this nor ever take the long way home from work.

That's true today, but it won't be for long.

Automobile magazine named the Tesla S their Car of the Year, and had a very interesting article on the car and Tesla's (Elon Musk) plans for charging stations. They've created a subsidiary company that will be locating high-capacity chargers along major routes. Musk says that by the end of 2013, Tesla car owners will be able to drive from ATL to LA, Miami to NY, etc. with 30-minute recharge stops along the way.

When gas cars came out, drivers had to plan for fueling along the way, now they don't. The same thing will happen with E-vehicles, but a lot faster than it took back then. And, the ranges will continue to increase at the same time.

The Spaceman 12-07-2012 05:57 AM

This looks like a great article guys, I'm looking forward to an in-depth reading and seeing the video at home this weekend.

Preliminary thoughts: the production bike isn't as good looking as the prototype from two years ago, and of course the price is almost double. However, Moore's Law applies to some degree, so prices will go down and capabilities will go up.

About the gearbox, at the Daytona TTX the Brammo bikes did not have them; they were single speed bikes. Eric Bostrom told me in the future their race bikes would have transmissions as the production bikes do.

seruzawa 12-07-2012 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 278924)
Tesla car owners will be able to drive from ATL to LA, Miami to NY, etc. with 30-minute recharge stops along the way.

You could do that today. It would take about 2 months.

Duken4evr 12-07-2012 06:54 AM

Interesting read! Brammo is coming along. Seems like a 3 or 4 speed trans would be all this bike needs, but developing a new transmission with proper spacing for the motor's unique power curve would add to the cost.

This is a jump on it and go short hop kind of bike. Sexy as this beast is, a more standard style or even scooter format might be more usable in the real world. Something with this bike's performance envelope in a super scooter format would be a perfect commuter - ignoring price of course.

SpeedwayRN 12-07-2012 08:13 AM

Gasoline is still too cheap....

Kevin_Duke 12-07-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 278925)
This looks like a great article guys, I'm looking forward to an in-depth reading and seeing the video at home this weekend.

Preliminary thoughts: the production bike isn't as good looking as the prototype from two years ago, and of course the price is almost double. However, Moore's Law applies to some degree, so prices will go down and capabilities will go up.

About the gearbox, at the Daytona TTX the Brammo bikes did not have them; they were single speed bikes. Eric Bostrom told me in the future their race bikes would have transmissions as the production bikes do.

I don't think it needs more than three speeds. And just two would be fine.

BTW, Elon's Tesla S has no gearbox and can get to 60 mph in just 4.6 secs with a top speed of 134 mph limited by a governor.

The Spaceman 12-07-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 278937)
BTW, Elon's Tesla S has no gearbox and can get to 60 mph in just 4.6 secs with a top speed of 134 mph limited by a governor.

It's a stunning machine from any perspective other than styling, which is just "ok." It could be the game-changer that electric vehicles need to finally break out of the "Socks 'n Birkenstocks" stereotype.

seruzawa 12-07-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 278938)
It's a stunning machine from any perspective other than styling, which is just "ok." It could be the game-changer that electric vehicles need to finally break out of the "Socks 'n Birkenstocks" stereotype.

You bet. The world was just waiting for an $85K (after subsidies) electric "everyman" car.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:12 AM.