Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 11:01 AM   #11
pdad13
Founding Member

I want to like these things.

But...

Last I read, which wasn't too long ago, we'll have to wait about another 10 years or so for a battery approaching anything like ICEs. Note that that battery technology hasn't been developed yet. There are a couple of known ideas, but nothing has gone beyond proof-of-concept development. Evolution of current battery technology doesn't look like it'll be enough to get us there.

Sure, EVs can have a place, but they won't be a magic bullet for a long time to come if ever. $18.5K for a commuter? I'm not optimistic. And if they're not practical or truly economical (and cost of entry is the biggest issue for most people), not many people will own them. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of green technology?

I can't help but think that the EV fad is being indulged at the expense of more promising alternative energy ideas.
pdad13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-07-2012, 12:28 PM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
You bet. The world was just waiting for an $85K (after subsidies) electric "everyman" car.
They have several versions, starting under $50k. That's not out of line; plenty of passenger cars and SUVs go for a as much or more. Battery sizes set the price except for the Performance version, which has a bigger motor.

I know I'm wasting my time here, but what the hell...
Model S Options & Pricing | Tesla Motors
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member

"Matrimonial Editor Tom Roderick"
Does somebody want to explain that?
Old 12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #14
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
It could be the game-changer that electric vehicles need to finally break out
That would be a good sentence to copy-and-paste for all articles on electric vehicles past, present and future.

I'm still trying to figure out where the cheap electricity comes from. The President has said that "electricity rates would necessarily skyrocket" under his plans for cap-and-trade and shutting down coal-fired plants, wind doesn't generate enough, solar slams face-first into physics, hydro dams not only can't be built but are being dismantled by environmentalist pressure, nuclear has been vilified beyond redemption for the past forty years... and then you're going to put increased demand from millions of electric cars onto that? Look up "supply and demand curve" for the inevitable result.

I'm not saying they can never work, but there's no such thing as a free lunch, and 90% of the people who are ga-ga for electric vehicles are fundamentally incapable of accepting the notion of sub-optimal trade-offs.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
"Matrimonial Editor Tom Roderick"
Does somebody want to explain that?
Dude's gettin' Hitched.

That, or he's Freelancing as a "Wedding Planner".....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM   #16
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Seems like it's still a toy with that range. I'd love it if they came out with a hybrid bike. Electric drive motor with a ICE powered genset (like the Chevy Volt) would be cool. Just a tiny, efficient motor that's just enough to keep you moving at highway speeds while slightly charging the batteries.

You could run electric only on short trips, then kick on the motor for long range.
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #17
Buzglyd
Founding Member

I don't see a long line for a 20 grand SV650 with a 50 mile range.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #18
bmwclay
Founding Member

Thumbs down Recharge stations for Telsas.

Automobile magazine named the Tesla S their Car of the Year, and had a very interesting article on the car and Tesla's (Elon Musk) plans for charging stations. They've created a subsidiary company that will be locating high-capacity chargers along major routes. Musk says that by the end of 2013, Tesla car owners will be able to drive from ATL to LA, Miami to NY, etc. with 30-minute recharge stops along the way.

True about Telsa's recharging station plan but, they will only work for Telsas. No other electric/hybrid plugin will be able to use them..........only Telsas. I think that is a bit tacky...
bmwclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 01:43 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
I don't see a long line for a 20 grand SV650 with a 50 mile range.
You just ain't got that old time religion, Buz. It's a testimony of faith that electric cars will replace gas cars soon.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:44 PM   #20
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve View Post
Seems like it's still a toy with that range. I'd love it if they came out with a hybrid bike. Electric drive motor with a ICE powered genset (like the Chevy Volt) would be cool. Just a tiny, efficient motor that's just enough to keep you moving at highway speeds while slightly charging the batteries.

You could run electric only on short trips, then kick on the motor for long range.
Imagine how much the bike would weigh. Jeez. Probably 600lbs with the equivalent of 25hp. No thanks.