Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Triumph Thruxton Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20715-2013-triumph-thruxton-review.html)

Administrator 11-30-2012 01:07 PM

2013 Triumph Thruxton Review

Original Article:
2013 Triumph Thruxton Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Triumph Thruxton Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 11-30-2012 04:16 PM

In the modern post meltdown world of shrinking dollars, the pricing on these is quite attractive.

I have a friend with a late model Bonnie, it is simply a no frills motorcycle. It is far less of an "event" to just hop on that Bonnie and take a local spin than my FZ1 for example. Dunno exactly why - both bike are upright and comfy, but the Bonnie is small and almost scooterlike in comparison. It just invites the rider to hop on and go.

I would not want one of these as my only bike - would feel like it is not "enough" but I would love to have one as a 2nd (or better yet 3rd) bike. The more the merrier after all.

jmdonald 11-30-2012 06:46 PM

Thruxton love

I would like to have one to thrash around for a weekend to make sure the ergonomics are agreeable with my advanced age body. I love the Thruxton as a number two bike. The pricing is reasonable considering the cache it provides. F¥€k the green I want black please.

seruzawa 11-30-2012 07:33 PM

IIRC another 10 hp are avatlable with the TORpipes and the proper mapping. I think Triumph will flash the map free with the pipes.

bmwclay 11-30-2012 09:42 PM

Thruxton

The more I read about the Thruxton the more I miss my Le Mans. Less weight and much more more hp than the Triumph. Guzzi titanium pipes and track only chip. Sweetest sound in the world.
Should have never sold it.

bmwclay 12-01-2012 08:12 AM

'less of an event'

"I have a friend with a late model Bonnie, it is simply a no frills motorcycle. It is far less of an "event" to just hop on that Bonnie and take a local spin than my FZ1 for example. "

Good call on an 'event'. Sometimes it's just fun to hop on a bike and see the neighborhood. Have coffee at the local shop, see the sunrise. These full boat K1600GT, Multi Stradas, and RTs take damn near a full day to plan and suit up for a ride. Bring back the W650s, Honda CB 450's etc.
I hear Honda is coming out with a line of CB 500s soon. I think my next bike will be an V7 Guzzi or maybe even a new Enfield 500.

schizuki 12-01-2012 11:28 AM

That green is classy.

Duken4evr 12-01-2012 01:46 PM

I get it about the Lemans. 90 degree twins sound sweet indeed. Another buddy has a very old (early 70's) Eldo. Such a cool bike to chuff around on. A Lemans with that character, more power and good handling would be sweet indeed. The Duc Sport Classics have appeal too. Damn. I need to hit the Lotto :D

Open class dual sports (DR650s and the like) are good "non event" just jump on and take a spin bikes too. My only real issue with those is when I owned one, every ride involves at least one fairly long wheelie. Empty parking lots are fun playgrounds too. Can't really t help myself. Then again, the FZ1 usually sees (in a remote place with no traffic in sight, perhaps some cows witnessing) a quick trip to 115-120 or so, pretty much every time I ride it. Both are bad. Perhaps the Bonnie would be a good choice, no wheelies (at least I doubt it anyway) and no quick "incidental" trips to over 100 mph...

sliphorn 12-02-2012 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 278821)
I have a friend with a late model Bonnie, it is simply a no frills motorcycle. It is far less of an "event" to just hop on that Bonnie and take a local spin than my FZ1 for example. Dunno exactly why - both bike are upright and comfy, but the Bonnie is small and almost scooterlike in comparison. It just invites the rider to hop on and go.

Your "event" comment nails it. That's exactly how I feel about my 1050 Sprint.

I recently test rode a V7 Stone and found it to be a real hoot, and prefer it over my buddies Bonne. The V7 is much lighter and better handling than the Bonne. Fortunately I'm not too far from one of the best M-G dealers in the country, Rosefarm Classics in Woodstock, IL.

I've narrowed my next two wheeler down to the V7 or the Piaggio BV350 scooter. I know, I know......Scooter or V7? Really? I also test rode the BV350 and was very impressed for a hop on and go type of machine. Practical too.

schizuki 12-02-2012 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sliphorn (Post 278832)
I've narrowed my next two wheeler down to the V7 or the Piaggio BV350 scooter. I know, I know......Scooter or V7? Really?

You sound like a man of taste and discernment.

In other words, I'm thinking just about the same thing. V7 or Genuine Scooter Company 170i.