Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 12-02-2012, 12:46 PM   #11
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizuki View Post
You sound like a man of taste and discernment.

In other words, I'm thinking just about the same thing. V7 or Genuine Scooter Company 170i.
My daughter has the Genuine Stella. It'sbeen pretty decent. The 2stroke engine is pretty peppy. Just don't forget to do a regular tightening session about once a month. Don't know about the 170L. If the Indians keep improving their quality at the rate they appear to be doing they'll equal the Japanese soon. Considering what a POS my son's Cavalier was they've already surpassed GM. Not that that was particularly difficult.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
sliphorn
Registered Member

I used to work at Scooterworks in Chicago. I had a kitted to the max 2T Stella and had a lot of fun with it.

Their other stuff is Taiwanese and very well made. The Buddy is about as reliable a scoot as you'll find. I'm sure the 170 would be a great scoot.
sliphorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 AM   #13
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
I would like to have one to thrash around for a weekend to make sure the ergonomics are agreeable with my advanced age body. I love the Thruxton as a number two bike. The pricing is reasonable considering the cache it provides. F¥€k the green I want black please.
Agreed, point for point.

From the photos it looks like the rider is pretty upright, but these days I can't take weight on my wrists for long (the cruthes are killing me). A few hours riding would answer that. That green sucks; black is the right color for this bike (although there's a Special Edition on Cycle Trader that has a red frame and white bodywork, including a nifty bikini fairing.

I'm really hoping to get a new bike this March; the Thruxton was going to be it until the CB1100 came along.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #14
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Agreed, point for point.

From the photos it looks like the rider is pretty upright, but these days I can't take weight on my wrists for long (the cruthes are killing me). A few hours riding would answer that. That green sucks; black is the right color for this bike (although there's a Special Edition on Cycle Trader that has a red frame and white bodywork, including a nifty bikini fairing.

I'm really hoping to get a new bike this March; the Thruxton was going to be it until the CB1100 came along.
Some guy across the street from my brother's house has a 4valve CB750K, probably around 78-79. Compared to today's bikes it's amazingly small and low to the ground. If the CB1100 is similar it would be perfect for you with the wrists and hip and God knows whatever else is going to happen to you next.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Long Beach

I plan on checking out the Thruxton and the CB1100 next week at the Long Beach motorcycle show along with a host of others. If the world does not end on December 21st a new bike should be in the cards for 2013. It does not help to know my local BMW dealer has in consignment a 2009 RT1200 with only 6k miles on it.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:22 PM   #16
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
I plan on checking out the Thruxton and the CB1100 next week at the Long Beach motorcycle show along with a host of others. If the world does not end on December 21st a new bike should be in the cards for 2013. It does not help to know my local BMW dealer has in consignment a 2009 RT1200 with only 6k miles on it.
A BMW? Nah, you don't want a BMW. C'mon, that's a yuppie bike (yes Buzz, that means you)!

Besides, if you are going to get a Bimmer, hold out for that new naked bike that's coming out in 2013. That looks neat!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:59 PM   #17
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Dark Side

Quote:
A BMW? Nah, you don't want a BMW. C'mon, that's a yuppie bike (yes Buzz, that means you)!

Besides, if you are going to get a Bimmer, hold out for that new naked bike that's coming out in 2013. That looks neat!
My only bike is a R1150RA roadster. My thought is to get a dedicated tourer and a canyon bike for the weekends. I would also like a small motard or dual sport I can haul around on a bike carrier.
Old 12-04-2012, 06:01 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
My only bike is a R1150RA roadster. My thought is to get a dedicated tourer and a canyon bike for the weekends. I would also like a small motard or dual sport I can haul around on a bike carrier.
Well shut my mouth. I would never have pegged you as yuppie!
Old 12-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Well shut my mouth. I would never have pegged you as yuppie!
You clearly don't know BMW riders.

I would say dorky engineer 10-1 over yuppie.

Just hang out at a BMW dealer for a while. Even YOU will look cool Kmo.

BMW cars are yuppie for sure.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Another bike to look for low key but highly capable versatility in the used realm is the original FZ1 ('00 to '05 models). They are low to the ground with very "standard" type ergos that can easily be modified thanks to a good old fashioned handelbar, and with a nice bikini fairing. The 1st gen R1 based engine is a gem, with a sweet midrange into the top end powerband culminating with about 125 hp on top and better fuel economy (45 mpg is typical) than the later FI equipped bikes. They are generally well taken care of bikes owned by old farts who don't often sell them though

I have the Gen II FZ and it is sharper, but it gives up some of the original model's versatility and "non event" just hop on and go status. It also gets about 5 to 8 mpg less, and has a smaller tank. It is sportier though, a little over the top in it's desire to show the rider the way to 5 figure engine speeds for a general purpose bike perhaps.

Always wanted a Triumph triple too. An older Tiger with an Arrow exhaust on it sounds nice...

Last edited by Duken4evr : 12-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote