Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Honda CRF450R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20713-2013-honda-crf450r-review.html)

Administrator 11-28-2012 03:00 PM

2013 Honda CRF450R Review

Original Article:
2013 Honda CRF450R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Honda CRF450R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 11-28-2012 04:24 PM

These new gen air forks sound interesting. Hopefully they come to the off road market.

Come on Honda. Update the 450X. Even Yamaha has finally updated it's WR450 :)

jmdonald 11-29-2012 09:45 PM

Damn

Is there a dirt bike I don't like? I try to get away from Honda but the keep
Pulling me back in.

seruzawa 11-30-2012 06:46 AM

Still 20 hiurs between rebuilds though.

Duken4evr 11-30-2012 07:02 AM

The intensity of the maintenance in real life really depends on 2 things -how good the rider is at keeping the air filter and oil clean, and how high the engine is revved.

I am quite fastidious with my air filters and oil change intervals, and a conservative when it comes to wringing out power laden 450cc dirt bikes. My '10 Husaberg FE 450 has 100 hours on it now, many see 200 hours before we owners even think about pulling the top end. I know of a guy with a 570 with 400 hours on it's stock Del West valves. No need to rev a 'Berg 570 real hard, as it makes a stupid amount of power.

Back to the Hondas, their 450X has dominated the Baja 1000 for quite awhile now. The Yamaha WR450 is legendarily tough and reliable too. These are not 2 strokes, but with decent care they are not really as fragile as people make them out to be either.

When you get on a good running modern fuel injected 450cc dirt bike in an off road setting, hear the baritone growl and feel the unearthly pull that is always more than enough for the terrain you are on, well, it is like a drug. You are the undisputed king of your domain when astride a 450. It is all worth it :D

Kevin_Duke 11-30-2012 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 278815)
The intensity of the maintenance in real life really depends on 2 things -how good the rider is at keeping the air filter and oil clean, and how high the engine is revved.

I am quite fastidious with my air filters and oil change intervals, and a conservative when it comes to wringing out power laden 450cc dirt bikes. My '10 Husaberg FE 450 has 100 hours on it now, many see 200 hours before we owners even think about pulling the top end. I know of a guy with a 570 with 400 hours on it's stock Del West valves. No need to rev a 'Berg 570 real hard, as it makes a stupid amount of power.

Back to the Hondas, their 450X has dominated the Baja 1000 for quite awhile now. The Yamaha WR450 is legendarily tough and reliable too. These are not 2 strokes, but with decent care they are not really as fragile as people make them out to be either.

When you get on a good running modern fuel injected 450cc dirt bike in an off road setting, hear the baritone growl and feel the unearthly pull that is always more than enough for the terrain you are on, well, it is like a drug. You are the undisputed king of your domain when astride a 450. It is all worth it :D

Nicely written alternate perspective on dirt Thumpers.