Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #21
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

BTW, Honda was by no means the first company to produce 4 cylinder bikes. Indian and Henderson for starters. Ariel.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-16-2012, 03:55 PM   #22
The Spaceman
Registered Member
 
The Spaceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,448
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
BTW, Honda was by no means the first company to produce 4 cylinder bikes. Indian and Henderson for starters. Ariel.
Quite true, but certainly Honda blew every other bike and manufacturer away with the CB750. Engineering, style, technology, accessibility (price and volume) were an order of magnitude ahead of the competition. Every rider I knew from '70 to '74 either wanted one, was trying to buy one, had one, or was hatin' the guys who did!
__________________
318 curves in 11 miles."
The Spaceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #23
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
Quite true, but certainly Honda blew every other bike and manufacturer away with the CB750. Engineering, style, technology, accessibility (price and volume) were an order of magnitude ahead of the competition. Every rider I knew from '70 to '74 either wanted one, was trying to buy one, had one, or was hatin' the guys who did!
True, 67hp for the Honda is a bit better than the Henderson's 14HP. But the Japanese were basically doing the same thing all through the 60s. They took technology that existed and made it affordable and, most importantly, reliable.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:13 PM   #24
schizuki
Founding Member
 
schizuki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 5,030
Default

Nice sig, Seru. Do you have The Hat? How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
__________________
Reverēre meam auctōritātem

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:25 PM   #25
jmdonald
Founding Member
 
jmdonald's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Mission Viejo
Posts: 1,291
Default My favorite bike

I had a 1975 CB750. It was my favorite bike of all time. I made the jump to light speed from a CB350. I was scared to death of it because it had so much power. Ha Ha! The thing that really sticks out in my mind is that it was so heavy compared to the 350. The 750 ran like a top and I never had to fix anything on it. Unlike the 75 T140 Bonneville I bought. I think it ran well for a month. It is still my second most favorite bike. I am blessed.
__________________
Secede.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:27 AM   #26
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

 
sarnali2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Sittin' down by my window, lookin' at the rain.
Posts: 8,719
Default

The only real innovation the Japanese came out with was splitting the cases horizontally instead of vertically. Pretty much eliminated oil leaks and gave a perception of quality, the 900 Z1 was the one that really raised the bar performance wise and put Kawasaki on the map as the performance brand. It wasn't until Honda came out with the Elsinore that anyone took them seriously.
__________________
"Carpe` Throttelum -Loud Suits Save Lives"

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #27
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
They took technology that existed and made it affordable and, most importantly, reliable.
And the world became a better place to be a motorcyclist!
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

 
Kevin_Duke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
It wasn't until Honda came out with the Elsinore that anyone took them seriously.
I dare say that people began to take Honda seriously nearly a decade earlier when it created a four-stroke GP bike, the incredible 250 Six, that beat the best the world could offer.
__________________
"The trouble with the world is that the Stupid are c0cksure and the Intelligent are full of doubt." -Bertrand Russell
Kevin_Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:58 PM   #29
seruzawa
The Toad

 
seruzawa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: 8501 ft.
Posts: 17,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
I dare say that people began to take Honda seriously nearly a decade earlier when it created a four-stroke GP bike, the incredible 250 Six, that beat the best the world could offer.
I recall that the motorcycle press in1964 got very irate ehen a test on the then new 305 Super Hawk posted a quicker 0-60 time than a 650 Triumph. People accused Honda of "supertuning" the bike (whatever that means). The old Honda Dreams used a pressed steel frame. Such frames wereused on GP bikes at the time. The Japanese were making waves long before the CB 750.
__________________
"Make no mistake, Communism lost a big argument - one we know today as the 20th century."
seruzawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
The_AirHawk
Founding Member
 
The_AirHawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Leanin' Tower O' P-P-P-P-POWAAAAAAAAA!!!!
Posts: 11,491
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I recall that the motorcycle press in1964 got very irate ehen a test on the then new 305 Super Hawk posted a quicker 0-60 time than a 650 Triumph. People accused Honda of "supertuning" the bike (whatever that means). The old Honda Dreams used a pressed steel frame. Such frames wereused on GP bikes at the time. The Japanese were making waves long before the CB 750.
F-Bomb'n Cheaters.
__________________
Parfois, on fait pas semblant
Sometimes, it's not pretend
Oderint Dum Metuant
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off