Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2013 Triumph Street Triple R Review

Original Article:
2013 Triumph Street Triple R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Triumph Street Triple R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

I've really never been able to understand why so many riders who ride almost exclusively in urban environments choose the 600cc supersports over a Street Triple. Or the unfortunately no longer available Z750. Except in expert hands the slight handling superiority of the 600 is unnoticeable. In virtually any other venue outside of track days and canyon carving (provided that the canyon road is track smooth) the 600 is out classed. Plus the raspy triple intake and exhaust sounds are so cool. It's really a no brainer.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #3
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default It's me

I would rather have a speed triple. It's not you it's me.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by seruzawa View Post
I've really never been able to understand why so many riders who ride almost exclusively in urban environments choose the 600cc supersports over a Street Triple. Or the unfortunately no longer available Z750. Except in expert hands the slight handling superiority of the 600 is unnoticeable. In virtually any other venue outside of track days and canyon carving (provided that the canyon road is track smooth) the 600 is out classed. Plus the raspy triple intake and exhaust sounds are so cool. It's really a no brainer.
The image one presents by riding a bike of a certain style is a major purchase stimulus for most riders. Some want to look like they just stepped off a racetrack. Some want to look like they stepped off the "Sons of Anarchy" set. Some just want the best all-around motorcycle for the buck. Vive la difference...
Old 11-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #5
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
The image one presents by riding a bike of a certain style is a major purchase stimulus for most riders. Some want to look like they just stepped off a racetrack. Some want to look like they stepped off the "Sons of Anarchy" set. Some just want the best all-around motorcycle for the buck. Vive la difference...
Given a choice between squid, SOA, mods and rockets, I'll take rockers for $400, Alex.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:18 AM   #6
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Ain't that the truth

Quote:
It amazes me that some of my riding buddies are still making purchases based on image although we all no longer have a sportbike as our primary ride. All these guys have huge money and can buy anything they want. Maybe that's what it is. The psychology driving this behavior is powerful. I have owned my current roadster for 8 years and the more I ride it the more I like it. It is a great all rounder. I admit I am drooling over some of the new bikes.I would have killed to own a street triple in my younger years. It has that je ne sais quoi.

Last edited by jmdonald : 11-06-2012 at 12:02 PM.
jmdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 05:47 PM   #7
Duken4evr
Founding Member

For city riding, it seems hard to beat a bike like the Husky (BMW) Terra 650. With it's hotted up BMW 650 single, longish but not real long suspension, narrow tall stance,and generally dirt bike like crash resistant nature, it seems to be a perfect bike for riding wheelies between stopped cars, going over curbs and up/down concrete staircases while evading the cops. You know, city type riding! The problem with any dual sport type bike is you need a heart of steel, and you are forever alone, getting the girl is not part of the deal...

All kidding aside, people do equate "image" with reality. That is one thing I love about my current ride. It has a low key easy to underestimate image (boring silver paint does not help), but it's engine is seriously no fooling around. Always loved the speak softly carry a big stick thing...

I suspect I would really like the sound, punch and weightless nature of the 675, but the bike is a bit physically small and no wind protection. When out in the high elevation wide open spaces, one needs surplus power, a bit of road hugging weight and stability and some wind protection. It is a vast open spaces out west thing I suspect. This is the land of the Concours 14 type bike really, as the Colorado high country can reduce the the size of any bike, which makes an over the top bike like the Concours appealing. Ironically, I see few C14's around here.

Gimme a 675 and a C14 to ride out here for a week next summer so I can test my theories and get back to you. Tough duty I know, but somone has gotta do it

Last edited by Duken4evr : 11-06-2012 at 06:21 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:45 AM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
For city riding, it seems hard to beat a bike like the Husky (BMW) Terra 650. With it's hotted up BMW 650 single, longish but not real long suspension, narrow tall stance,and generally dirt bike like crash resistant nature, it seems to be a perfect bike for riding wheelies between stopped cars, going over curbs and up/down concrete staircases while evading the cops. You know, city type riding!

Gimme a 675 and a C14 to ride out here for a week next summer so I can test my theories and get back to you. Tough duty I know, but somone has gotta do it
Might as well send a TR650, too!
Old 11-07-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Quote:
Might as well send a TR650, too!
Sounds good to me!

I know I could ride a wheelie forever on a Terra 650. Met Tim Carrithers years back (way back) astride my XL600 and he was on a KLR650 at the Rock Store. We had an impromptu wheelie war and then he showed me the Motorcyclist office. That was a cool day. He is a tall and very quirky guy
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Sounds good to me!

I know I could ride a wheelie forever on a Terra 650. Met Tim Carrithers years back (way back) astride my XL600 and he was on a KLR650 at the Rock Store. We had an impromptu wheelie war and then he showed me the Motorcyclist office. That was a cool day. He is a tall and very quirky guy
Yep, Tim's quirky, but when he's on, he's a brilliant writer. I hope you won the wheelie contest!