Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Husqvarna TR650 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20662-2013-husqvarna-tr650-review.html)

Administrator 10-23-2012 02:03 PM

2013 Husqvarna TR650 Review

Original Article:
2013 Husqvarna TR650 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Husqvarna TR650 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Buzglyd 10-23-2012 03:01 PM

Dammit that's pretty nice.

And the price is right too.

jmdonald 10-23-2012 05:37 PM

Otg

For a more off road Dual Sport this looks like a good deal. It should have a 6th. gear. Maybe a third party fix could close the mid gear gap. I really like it.

Duken4evr 10-23-2012 06:48 PM

Looks like these replace the TE630 / SMR models. That was one cool dual sport and SM with a "real" Husky engine in it. New bike has a steel swingarm, made in China BMW engine with gappy 5 speed trans (the old TE line has a sweet WR 6 speed) and way less cool factor.

Cheaper I suppose, but there is no free lunch. The old bikes were way more desireable. The TE610/630 are on my list of "someday" bikes. That or a KTM 690. Depends when the ship comes in, and how loaded down with cash it is :)

As a KLR/DR beater though, these aren't bad. They appear to exceed that exceedingly low bar handlily.

Kevin_Duke 10-23-2012 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 278356)
Looks like these replace the TE630 / SMR models. That was one cool dual sport and SM with a "real" Husky engine in it. New bike has a steel swingarm, made in China BMW engine with gappy 5 speed trans (the old TE line has a sweet WR 6 speed) and way less cool factor.

Cheaper I suppose, but there is no free lunch. The old bikes were way more desireable. The TE610/630 are on my list of "someday" bikes. That or a KTM 690. Depends when the ship comes in, and how loaded down with cash it is :)

As a KLR/DR beater though, these aren't bad. They appear to exceed that exceedingly low bar handlily.

The TE630 listed for $9K in 2011. As cool as it was, I don't know if it's 30% better than the TR. I bet they'll do well for Husky and will help them better establish the brand.

rsalco 10-24-2012 05:45 AM

An interesting question will be whether BMW allows its dealers to carry the Husky line. If so, sales will be brisk; if not, I suspect the numbers will be modest. Husky dealers are few and far between with a sometimes shaky customer service history. That hasn't changed appreciably since the takeover from Cagiva.

Duken4evr 10-24-2012 06:18 AM

Agree Kevin. The dollar to performance ratio of these bikes is compelling. Unfair of me to compare them to the TE630 when really they are more in league with the KLR/DR/XRL. In that 33ish hp company, the revamped free breathing 50hp engine sounds very competitive, and the Husky has that Husky look, way cooler vs. something first conjured up during the 80s.

Most fun bike I ever owned was an '83 XL600. A big dual sport captures the essence of MC riding, it can cruise highways and go on trails. It may not be a race bike, but it is a go wherever you want bike. Plus the big thumpers are so simple to do long wheelies on :D

The Spaceman 10-24-2012 08:45 AM

I don't care much about the dirt-side, but that street version is a sick bike. It has a modern, slim "Euro" look; almost a Bauhaus design ethic.

If they market them right and have good dealer support they should sell like hotcakes.

Kevin_Duke 10-24-2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsalco (Post 278360)
An interesting question will be whether BMW allows its dealers to carry the Husky line. If so, sales will be brisk; if not, I suspect the numbers will be modest. Husky dealers are few and far between with a sometimes shaky customer service history. That hasn't changed appreciably since the takeover from Cagiva.

No matter what, the TR650s will net modest sales numbers, but even smallish sales improvements will have a big impact on Husky's total sales.

SpeedwayRN 10-29-2012 04:13 AM

Is there a way to put a bigger fuel tank on it? Thats one thing I dislike about underseat fuel tanks...