Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20632-2013-kawasaki-ninja-zx-6r-review.html)

Administrator 10-15-2012 10:28 AM

2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Review

Original Article:
2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

seruzawa 10-15-2012 07:32 PM

I'm glad to see Kwacker spicing up the 600cc class.

Their next assignment is to build a middleweight class sportbike that someone over 5'6" can ride.

jmdonald 10-15-2012 08:32 PM

If only

It would have been nice if this bike was around when I was in my twenties. It is a nice offering that should do well for Kawasaki. Loved the part about being able to open up the throttle sooner than you normally would have.

Kevin_Duke 10-16-2012 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 278156)
I'm glad to see Kwacker spicing up the 600cc class.

Their next assignment is to build a middleweight class sportbike that someone over 5'6" can ride.

It's going to be interesting to see if the new 6R can drive sales in the tanking 600 sportbike market. I'm really looking forward to riding it.

A friend of mine is 6-foot-5 and folds himself up to ride sportbikes, so don't use your size as an excuse! And you can always make them fit you better with aftermarket bars, pegs and seat. Maybe a few yoga sessions... :)

Buzglyd 10-16-2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 278163)
It's going to be interesting to see if the new 6R can drive sales in the tanking 600 sportbike market. I'm really looking forward to riding it.

A friend of mine is 6-foot-5 and folds himself up to ride sportbikes, so don't use your size as an excuse! And you can always make them fit you better with aftermarket bars, pegs and seat. Maybe a few yoga sessions... :)

Maybe a story about the tanking 600 market is in order.

For years the wise ones warned how H-D was losing it's market share to old age and they needed to come up with a sport bike for the youngsters.

Now the youngsters have abandoned sport bikes for Sportsters.

The only sport bikes you see on the road these days are ridden by 40-50 somethings and usually 1000cc.

schizuki 10-16-2012 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 278164)

For years the wise ones warned how H-D was losing it's market share to old age and they needed to come up with a sport bike for the youngsters.

The only sport bikes you see on the road these days are ridden by 40-50 somethings and usually 1000cc.

There you go again, Buz, harshing someone's solipsistic preconceived narrative with annoying facts.

Buzglyd 10-16-2012 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 278166)
There you go again, Buz, harshing someone's solipsistic preconceived narrative with annoying facts.

Well I understood we were all going to be riding 800cc V4s by now but the youngsters seem to be in Sons of Anarchy mode.

I remember when H-D started spending money advertising in MMA fights. I thought, "that is a damn good idea."

Kevin_Duke 10-16-2012 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 278164)

From the albeit limited stats I've seen, it's not that youngsters have abandoned sportbikes for Sportsters, it's more about youngsters abandoning motorcycles. Kids don't have the finances for new bikes or the insurance they require, plus few of them even have experience on a minibike or a dirtbike. So they're not, and they never will be, as enthusiastic about bikes as we are.

While H-D may boast about their rising market share among youngsters, their sales reference point started just above zero.

Buzglyd 10-16-2012 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 278168)
From the albeit limited stats I've seen, it's not that youngsters have abandoned sportbikes for Sportsters, it's more about youngsters abandoning motorcycles. Kids don't have the finances for new bikes or the insurance they require, plus few of them even have experience on a minibike or a dirtbike. So they're not, and they never will be, as enthusiastic about bikes as we are.

While H-D may boast about their rising market share among youngsters, their sales reference point started just above zero.

They've captured a good percentage of the market available to capture.

The rest aren't interested in bikes at all.

I guess being good at video games gets the *****ez these days.

jmdonald 10-16-2012 11:07 AM

Amen Brother

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 278168)

I am with you on this one Mr. Duke. I was lucky enough to live in a predominately rural area growing up that allowed me the mini-bike dirt bike experience. My parents knowing the cost of such a luxury required my participation financially and I gladly contributed because of my love for the sport. The lack of easily available riding combined with an elevated cost (bikes back then were a few hundred dollars) makes it tough to participate even if the desire is there. As far as the HD/Sons of Anarchy appeal it is a tempting rebellious persona a lot of dis-affected youth would grab onto. My understanding is the major contributors to this forum ride HD's and it is well known they had to commit at least one murder to have been accepted into the HD brotherhood. Scary thought that one. I am thinking about buying a sportster.