Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Zero Motorcycles Lineup (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20615-2013-zero-motorcycles-lineup.html)

Administrator 10-03-2012 03:26 PM

2013 Zero Motorcycles Lineup

Original Article:
2013 Zero Motorcycles Lineup

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Zero Motorcycles Lineup in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 10-04-2012 06:58 AM

Holy crap. Am I reading this right?

99% increase in power output.
Over 130 mile range.
95% charging in an hour.
Hot-swap battery capability.

The rate of technology advancement from Zero is stunning.

Buzglyd 10-04-2012 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277950)

Over 130 mile range.
95% charging in an hour.

Time to get out the checkbook Kenneth!

Excuse time is over!

The Spaceman 10-04-2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 277953)
Time to get out the checkbook Kenneth!

Excuse time is over!

Can you spare $10k? I'm good for it.

Buzglyd 10-04-2012 08:18 AM

I think Zero has made some pretty nice advances. It's still not enough to get my dough (or Kenneth's apparently). I did read a post in another forum that gave me pause.

The guy was talking about how great this was and how he could ride it to work and then "charge it at his employer."

Really?

You think as an employer I'm going to have 30 employees plugging in their electrics while they work and I get to pay for it?

I remember some years ago working for a company that had a call center like mine. This was back when long distance calls cost money and we had an 800 number to boot.

One day the boss walked in and said, "I don't go to your house and make long distance calls to all my friends. Don't do it here."

Kevin_Duke 10-04-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277950)

Over 130 mile range.
95% charging in an hour.

And this is why e-bikes are so interesting to me, especially compared to the incremental upgrades from ICE bikes. Like many, I'm still not ready to buy an e-bike, but it's incredible to watch their rapid progress.

Hopefully we'll be testing the new Zeros and the Brammo before the year is out.

SpeedwayRN 10-04-2012 08:53 AM

Now when they cut the costs in half they will have my attention...

trenttheuncatchable 10-04-2012 09:26 AM

I'm a fan of e-bikes. But for colder climates I wouldn't get a bike that runs on batteries. Until there are batteries that do better in cold weather.

The Spaceman 10-04-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 277961)
Hopefully we'll be testing the new Zeros and the Brammo before the year is out.

When you do that test, I'd be very interested in your impression of the Brammo's transmission versus the Zero's direct drive. I think I'd like having a tranny just because I'm a guy and I like changing gears. But if it adds weight, cost, and saps range without a significant benefit, maybe it's not worth it.

Looking forward to that comparo!

seruzawa 10-04-2012 08:40 PM

Zero doesn't stand for the emissions. It stands for how many bikes they'll sell when the Federal subsidies run out.