Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20612-2013-ducati-multistrada-1200-s-touring-review.html)

Administrator 10-02-2012 04:21 PM

2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Review

Original Article:
2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Duken4evr 10-02-2012 05:28 PM

Favorite bike I have never ridden.

Being a hard core dirt bike guy, I am sure I would love one of these with it's for real power, sit up commanding riding position, sharp handling, suck it up while catching mild air over the railroad track hump suspension and general prowess at comfortably and effortlessly sporting around. That and sporty V-Twins simply sound the best.

Gimme gimme :D

seruzawa 10-02-2012 06:21 PM

Sweet. Keeping it in the 500lb range makes it a viable option for real adventuring.

The Spaceman 10-03-2012 06:25 AM

The new "active suspension" (AS) technology is really exciting. I believe BMW has just released a version of it on the S1000RR. It only makes sense, especially on a high-performance bike, to take advantage of sensor and processing technologies and use them to provide real-time control of a motorcycle's mechanical suspension systems. Add AS to TC and ABS, and you're looking at a safer, faster, more fun ride.

Obviously there's a downside in terms of complexity and cost, but that's the same stuff we heard about EFI 15 years ago. I don't think most people are interested in going back to carbs.

PS: Nice wheelie, Mr. Duke!

jmdonald 10-03-2012 06:50 AM

Ducati Curious?

To me this is what an all rounder should be. With the refinements made it tells me Ducati is serious about this offering. I grew up riding dirt bikes and I really can't see riding this bike on anything more rugged than the occasional fire road. I would imagine someone with better skills than myself could ride a more rugged terrain. Needless to say I love this bike. Another job well done. Did Mr. Duke visit the Getty while in Bilbao?

Nap 10-03-2012 08:30 AM

The upgrades to this bike look fantastic!

That elephant snout up front, though...

Can't wait for the MTS comparo with the new 1200GS and KTM 1190.

12er 10-03-2012 10:37 AM

dying for an SMT 1190...

Kevin_Duke 10-03-2012 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 277921)
To me this is what an all rounder should be. With the refinements made it tells me Ducati is serious about this offering. I grew up riding dirt bikes and I really can't see riding this bike on anything more rugged than the occasional fire road. I would imagine someone with better skills than myself could ride a more rugged terrain. Needless to say I love this bike. Another job well done. Did Mr. Duke visit the Getty while in Bilbao?

You're correct about the MTS not being much of an off-roader, although it does a great job on fire-road-type terrain.

No time to visit the Guggenheim, although I did sneak away long enough to stroll around its exterior. Made me wonder how a human (Gehry) birthed those shapes out of his mind.

Kevin_Duke 10-03-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277920)
The new "active suspension" (AS) technology is really exciting. I believe BMW has just released a version of it on the S1000RR. It only makes sense, especially on a high-performance bike, to take advantage of sensor and processing technologies and use them to provide real-time control of a motorcycle's mechanical suspension systems. Add AS to TC and ABS, and you're looking at a safer, faster, more fun ride.

Obviously there's a downside in terms of complexity and cost, but that's the same stuff we heard about EFI 15 years ago. I don't think most people are interested in going back to carbs.

PS: Nice wheelie, Mr. Duke!

Yep, it's essentially the same system as used in the HP4. Read more about it here:

I'm always happy to please you guys with a wheelie shot!

jmdonald 10-03-2012 11:18 AM

Mindless

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 277934)
You're correct about the MTS not being much of an off-roader, although it does a great job on fire-road-type terrain.

No time to visit the Guggenheim, although I did sneak away long enough to stroll around its exterior. Made me wonder how a human (Gehry) birthed those shapes out of his mind.

I meant the Guggenheim but had Getty on my mind. I would love to see a shoot out that includes the new liquid cooled GS. I love all the new technologies.