Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20590-2012-kawasaki-zx-14r-vs-2012-suzuki-hayabusa-le-video.html)

Administrator 09-29-2012 08:47 AM

2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video

Original Article:
2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Kawasaki ZX-14R vs. 2012 Suzuki Hayabusa LE - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 09-29-2012 05:28 PM

I give up

OK I give up. I now like the ZX more than the Busa.

Duken4evr 09-29-2012 07:53 PM

With a drag strip about 15 miles from my house and living at power sapping mile high elevation, my warped brain can actually justify one of these things. :D

Kevin_Duke 10-01-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 277852)
With a drag strip about 15 miles from my house and living at power sapping mile high elevation, my warped brain can actually justify one of these things. :D

Or at least take the Fizzer to the strip!

monsterduc1000 10-02-2012 05:08 PM

It's too bad both are ugly as sin, fat as pigs and handle like semis. If I was getting a new crotch rocket, I would take the new zx10r, panigale or bmw s1000r over either of these any day of the week and twice on sunday. Powerful, light, and all handle like a cat cornering on carpet (grip grip grip).

It wasn't too long ago I was easily beating my buddy on his 05 'busa with my 04 zx10r on a roll on or carving the twisties, as were my other buddies on there 05 r1 and 05 gsxr.

These bikes are great on a launch because they are fat and can keep the front wheel down easier from a standing start. But with a roll on, the power to weight ratio of the lean liter bikes leaves these two rollie-polies behind, and in the twisties they are a joke compared to 1000's

Duken4evr 10-02-2012 05:33 PM

Try getting 500 hp out of your liter class sport bike though. These things are about modding and the strip.

I was chatting with Eddie Sisneros over at Epic Motorsports. He had a turbo 'Busa he built on the dyno, and they had to use a forklift to press down on the pegs to load the rear enough to get an accurate (over 500 hp) reading. Too much tire slip.

To be honest, these things are not really my cup of tea, but I can respect them.

monsterduc1000 10-02-2012 05:55 PM

Try riding that thing on the track all stretched out to 12 feet in order to get that 500hp to the ground. Give me a modded liter bike with 200+hp on a track any day. Respect for these, sure, but like you they are not my cup of tea.

Captain Steve 10-06-2012 09:19 AM

Not my thing, but impressive. Extreme. I can see the allure, just don't feel it.

I'm too dumb to have that much power available on the street. My license couldn't take the abuse :)

Kevin_Duke 10-06-2012 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 277990)
Not my thing, but impressive. Extreme. I can see the allure, just don't feel it.

I'm too dumb to have that much power available on the street. My license couldn't take the abuse :)

I used to feel that way until I took my first runs at a 'strip. I poo-pooed dragracing until I found out just how fun and challenging it is. I encourage all y'all to bring whatever bike you have to an open night at your local 'strip to find out for yourselves how entertaining and intense it can be.

It doesn't matter how fast your bike is, as most 'strips operate a bracket racing format in which you try to get as close to your dial-in time as possible. So, make your practice runs and see how quick you can go, then choose your dial-in time that you think you can duplicate. Then, as long as you don't "break out," i.e. go quicker than your dial-in, you have a chance to beat a Busa (or whatever) on your XL250 (or whatever)!

No one can talk authoritatively about a subject he/she hasn't tried! I can nearly guarantee you'll have more fun than you expect! :)

Captain Steve 10-06-2012 09:48 AM

I know drag racing is fun. I used to flog my Marauder down the track a bit.
I just don't have the interest to invest in the full leather gear, etc that the drag strip requires to run the 1/4. I'm more of a pokey cruiser/sightseer/tourer on bikes.