Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-19-2012, 06:43 PM   #1
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default A New Bike

If anybody deserves a new bike it's this guy.

Missing motorcyclist discovered seriously hurt in a ditch THREE DAYS after crash | Mail Online

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
seruzawa
The Toad

Well, if he'd been taken to an NHS hospital right away it's doubtful that he'd have seen a doctor in less than 3 days. (rimshot!)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #3
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Two different crashes similar to this happened in this area - the first was almost-nearly the EXACT story of this one - only it took them 5 days to find the rider (still alive), and he was only found by chance by a guy that stopped to take a leak and saw a boot sticking out of the brush.

The next, it was over 2 months before they found his body - it happened about this time of year, and it wasn't until the overgrowth had lost its leaves that someone spotted the bike, called it in, and the rider was found later that day. This second one they looked and looked for him, even searching the area they later found him - but it was so overgrown that nothing could be seen.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
The Spaceman
Registered Member

I always keep a flare gun tethered to my neon green safety vest for occasions just like this one.

A few years ago, a grandmother got forced over the edge of an elevated section of I-595 here. She was heading home after dropping her son at the airport at 4am. Nobody saw her go over except the turd who hit her, and she was trapped in her car for 3 days. This is a road with 8 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic!
Old 09-20-2012, 06:17 AM   #5
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
I always keep a flare gun tethered to my neon green safety vest for occasions just like this one.

A few years ago, a grandmother got forced over the edge of an elevated section of I-595 here. She was heading home after dropping her son at the airport at 4am. Nobody saw her go over except the turd who hit her, and she was trapped in her car for 3 days. This is a road with 8 lanes of bumper to bumper traffic!
Man! I hope grandma was ok. In FL, you end up under a freeway and dog man starts barking at you and eating your face.

If I'm out riding alone, I usually tell one or two peeps where I'm headed and I enable location updating in Google Latitude or Find my Friends on my iPhone.

If I ride out of cell coverage it wouldn't work, but most days I'm covered.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 06:44 AM   #6
pushrod
Founding Member

Same thing happened a few years ago in Myrtle Beach. Guy broke several bones, damn near drowned, and supposedly got bitten by a snake.

IIRC, he was headed home one night and didn't show up. His buddies or S.O. alerted the authorities, but it still took something like three days to find him.

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Man! I hope grandma was ok. In FL, you end up under a freeway and dog man starts barking at you and eating your face.

If I'm out riding alone, I usually tell one or two peeps where I'm headed and I enable location updating in Google Latitude or Find my Friends on my iPhone.

If I ride out of cell coverage it wouldn't work, but most days I'm covered.
What are you gonna do when all that Technology Breaks Down in the coming Zombie Apocalypse?

Flare Gun, so the Zombies can find and eat you faster, like Ken?
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 07:42 AM   #8
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Kind of a scary thought. When I had the GS I took it waaaaay the hell up in the mountains following logging roads. I finally came to the end of the road which was a rusty locked gate at the bottom of a muddy downhill with barely room to turn around. I remember thinking If I got stuck out there I was beyond f**k'd.

There was no active logging in the area and I hadn't seen another soul all day. It could have turned out to be a terminal mistake pretty easily, pretty sobering how quickly things could go south..

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM   #9
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
Kind of a scary thought. When I had the GS I took it waaaaay the hell up in the mountains following logging roads. I finally came to the end of the road which was a rusty locked gate at the bottom of a muddy downhill with barely room to turn around. I remember thinking If I got stuck out there I was beyond f**k'd.

There was no active logging in the area and I hadn't seen another soul all day. It could have turned out to be a terminal mistake pretty easily, pretty sobering how quickly things could go south..
You would have spent the rest of your days trapping and eating spotted owls.

Remember those?
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default PLBs Approved by the Government

Personal Locator Beacons (PLBs)

PLBs are portable units that operate much the same as EPIRBs or ELTs. These beacons are designed to be carried by an individual person instead of on a boat or aircraft. Unlike ELTs and some EPIRBs, they can only be activated manually and operate exclusively on 406 MHz. And like EPIRBs and ELTs all PLBs also have a built-in, low-power homing beacon that transmits on 121.5 MHz. This allows rescue forces to home in on a beacon once the 406 MHz satellite system has gotten them "in the ballpark" (about 2-3 miles).Some newer PLBs also allow GPS units to be integrated into the distress signal. This GPS-encoded position dramatically improves the location accuracy down to the 100-meter level…that’s roughly the size of a football field!

In the United States, PLBs are now authorized for nationwide use. This authorization was granted by the FCC beginning July 1st, 2003.

Prior to July 1st, 2003 only residents of Alaska had been able to use PLBs. The Alaska PLB Program was set up to test the capabilities of PLBs and their potential impact on SAR resources. Since March of 1995, the experiment proved very successful and helped save nearly 400 lives while generating only a few false alerts. The success of the Alaska PLB program undoubtedly paved the way for nationwide usage of these devices.

If you need to register a 406 MHz PLB, you can now register online or you may download a beacon registration form from the registration website and then fax the form to us at: (301) 817-4565. For any other registration questions, please call us at: 1-888-212-SAVE (7283)

It may be the only thing that can save us. Other than another four years of Obama.