Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo vs Star VMAX - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20558-2012-ducati-diavel-cromo-vs-star-vmax-video.html)

Administrator 09-17-2012 01:22 PM

2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo vs Star VMAX - Video

Original Article:
2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo vs Star VMAX - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo vs Star VMAX - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

Buzglyd 09-17-2012 02:01 PM

We need to bring back the term Bada$$.

jmdonald 09-17-2012 02:36 PM

Great Video Presentation

Weight reduction sure does make a difference in performance. The videos are getting so good you should have your own television show.

Buzglyd 09-17-2012 04:29 PM

I have ridden a Diavel Carbon and really enjoyed the ride. Almost 700 lbs for the VMax is pretty ridiculous.

The Carbon is tempting and Ducati is offering 1% financing on it now but the Aprilia Tuono is what is calling me right now. I'll patiently wait for some dude to load one up and then decide it STILL didn't make him cool.

Kevin_Duke 09-17-2012 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 277562)
The videos are getting so good you should have your own television show.

Aw, you're making us blush...

The Spaceman 09-18-2012 09:25 AM

"Don’t think we’re cowering away from claiming a winner – these two bikes are simply too disparate to heap into a single category. "

Ok, but if they're alike enough to warrant a shootout (they obviously are) then you really should pick a winner.

Put it this way: Here's $20k, you can spend it on a Diavel or a VStar. Which are you going to buy?

Tom Roderick 09-18-2012 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277571)
"Don’t think we’re cowering away from claiming a winner – these two bikes are simply too disparate to heap into a single category. "

Ok, but if they're alike enough to warrant a shootout (they obviously are) then you really should pick a winner.

Put it this way: Here's $20k, you can spend it on a Diavel or a VStar. Which are you going to buy?

Until this shootout, Spaceman, I had not ridden the Diavel (nor had Duke, I think), so we had no idea how sportbike-like is the Diavel's performance. Hence the shootout, which resulted in a much clearer understanding of the differences between the two bikes. The whole reason for conducting shootouts.

If it were my $20K to spend, however, and being a performance enthusiast, I'd choose the Diavel due to its lighter weight and better agility in the twisties.

Kevin_Duke 09-18-2012 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277571)
[i]

As they say in the real-estate biz, "Location, location, location." As I currently live in an area with a healthy supply of twisty roads, I'd choose the Duc.

But if I lived somewhere on the Great Plains, I'd choose the mega-motored Max. I grew up in a place where the only corners were where two streets met (i.e. flat as a pancake), so I can appreciate the awesome straight-line, tire-smoking appeal of Mr. Max. It is truly a special motorcycle, with excellent build quality and is about as exotic as a Jap bike gets these days.

Auphliam 09-19-2012 09:20 AM

um...Victory created the 'Sport-Cruiser' category about 12 years ago...unfortunately, they never built a bike to put in it 8)

Nice review. I am really diggin the Diavel...Not sure what it is, but the VMax always seemed so 'High Tops/Z-28' to me

Kawa-Jockey 09-20-2012 06:36 PM

Come on, man! At least do your research and learn how to pronounce Dee-AHH-vel and not Dee-uh-VELL. You lose so much credibility as a reviewer when you do things like this. Please dub that video for your own sake.