Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Kawasaki Ninja 300 Preview (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20551-2013-kawasaki-ninja-300-preview.html)

Huss 09-17-2012 06:10 PM

The problem I have w/ the Kawi 250 and now 300 is that they are getting heavier and heavier.
Right now they are about 30lbs heavier w/ no fuel than a fueled up CBR250R.
Kawi already makes middleweight bikes.
I think it would have been better if they added FI and lost some weight on the 250, than bloat it up.

schizuki 09-18-2012 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 277560)
I'd like to see how that thing would perform in American dealerships. The cafe movement is definitely getting bigger, and I think this W800 would sell in sufficient enough numbers to justify importation.

I've got a feeling the cafe movement is at the peak of the hipness curve. Might be enough left to move some factory bikes for a year or three, though.

jmdonald 09-18-2012 03:20 PM

Progression
 
I didn't get past a 350 until after High School. I made the jump to a cb750 and was shocked at how heavy it was compared to my cb350.I still like a nice nimble lightweight bike. I really like this kawi and I don't even like kawi's.

Huss 09-18-2012 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 277580)
I've got a feeling the cafe movement is at the peak of the hipness curve. Might be enough left to move some factory bikes for a year or three, though.

It's not going to happen for a new turn key Japanese bike in the US
In my 'hood which is crawling w/ cafe hipsters (there is a Deus ex Machina store just up the street), it's either Thairumph Bonnies, Ducatis w/ a smattering of Guzzis, or old beater Japanese UJMs from the 70s that have been brought back to life as cafe bikes w/ dropped bars, straight pipes (wonderful.... eesh), no fenders.
There are a few caffed Kawi W650s (smaller version of the W800) but the owners have made sure to remove the Kawi badges. Which brings up the point, if they want people to think their 'new' Kawis are Triumphs, why would they buy one over the 'real deal' Triumph given that the W800 would cost the same as a Bonnie?

The_AirHawk 09-18-2012 07:27 PM

The W650 got a sort of Cult Following for awhile (well, more than "awhile" now). At the time the W was "new", there wasn't a "new" Bonneville, and it's a respectfully-done copy of the old one that probably puts even the new one to shame in some respects......

The Spaceman 09-19-2012 06:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 277580)
I've got a feeling the cafe movement is at the peak of the hipness curve. Might be enough left to move some factory bikes for a year or three, though.

Nah. Look at the chopper fad. Utterly useless, unrideable, unreliable piles of **** that cost as much as a small vacation home, yet they sold them as fast as they could make them for almost a decade.

A good cafe bike is something you can actually ride and get some Non-Penile Compensatory ROI (NPCR™) from.

Kevin_Duke 09-19-2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 277597)
The W650 got a sort of Cult Following for awhile (well, more than "awhile" now). At the time the W was "new", there wasn't a "new" Bonneville, and it's a respectfully-done copy of the old one that probably puts even the new one to shame in some respects......

Actually, a Bonneville was available when the W650 was around. I did a comparison between the two plus a 1971 Bonneville in 2001 for Motorcycle Consumer News. The W650 was definitely my preference, and it was a more authentic recreation of the original Bonnie than Triumph's version, being lighter and more agile.

The_AirHawk 09-19-2012 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 277610)
Actually, a Bonneville was available when the W650 was around. I did a comparison between the two plus a 1971 Bonneville in 2001 for Motorcycle Consumer News. The W650 was definitely my preference, and it was a more authentic recreation of the original Bonnie than Triumph's version, being lighter and more agile.

D'oh! I forgot all-about those "garage-built" Bonnies (might as well have been - but at least it kept the line going).

Not that anyone really wants to remember them....

rfox 09-20-2012 03:18 PM

Don't forget the smaller riders...
 
If they keep "fixing" it, I hope the Green Co, does not forget the smaller riders! My daughter needed the lowering kit to move up to the "new" model in 2010...At 5'2" and 110 lbs, she won't go for if they keep raising the seat height...maybe they should use the 500 as a platform for a 350.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:26 AM.