Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
The local Ducati dealer let me take their demo MultiStrada out for an afternoon. I tried all the combinations of suspension settings, power settings, etc. I'm sure I'd just put it in "everything sport" mode and leave it there.
But why would you leave it there when it can be changed with a push of a button. Riding on a choppy interstate? Dial up comfort mode and be comfortable!

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve View Post
"Open the side case Hal .... Open the side case Hal ..."

$#@#%$

"Siri, find me a place that sells saws-alls"
There's a Reason we elected you "Captain", Steve....

(yes, I "LOL'D".)
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:31 PM   #23
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
But why would you leave it there when it can be changed with a push of a button. Riding on a choppy interstate? Dial up comfort mode and be comfortable!
If I want to be comfy, I take the car. It has cushy leather seats and A/C. When I ride a motorcycle it's because I want to haul ass.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #24
tbrown
Founding Member

Quote:
You make some good points about the Boxer motor, but your claim that L-C engines have to "work harder" ain't one of them. In fact, given that L-C motors can produce more power than A-C mills, they can actually work less harder.

Also, it's not always the case that L-C bikes are heavier. BMW engineers told me the new R1250GS will be lighter than the existing GS. Check back with us on Oct 2 when we will be announcing full details.
Kev:

My point about liquid cooling is that it's an extra pump and the liquid needs to be dealt with when you take off the head covers to adjust valves. I'm aware that it has benefits too...just not for me on a sport touring type of bike that I maintain myself.

I'm sure BMW can develop a lighter bike. Is that BECAUSE it's liquid cooled? I don't think so. It will have the whole cooling system added and the water pump....and the coolant! They'll make it out of exotic stuff and save weight everywhere with clever design....It's what they do nowadays.

Liquid cooling's advantage is that it keeps the motor at a steadier temp regardless of engine load or ambient temp. That's good for making clearances tighter and making more power without detonation. You can make more power...but the engine is more complicated and harder to work on...and the water pump does make extra drag...That's what I meant by my "work harder" comment.

October 2nd has come and gone and I've not seen much on the new GS...just some press releases...no real beef yet.

I'm all for a better mousetrap, but "better" is subjective. The 1200 has "enough" power and is easy to maintain. I'll have to be convinced.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:12 AM   #25
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrown View Post
Kev:

My point about liquid cooling is that it's an extra pump and the liquid needs to be dealt with when you take off the head covers to adjust valves. I'm aware that it has benefits too...just not for me on a sport touring type of bike that I maintain myself.

I'm sure BMW can develop a lighter bike. Is that BECAUSE it's liquid cooled? I don't think so. It will have the whole cooling system added and the water pump....and the coolant! They'll make it out of exotic stuff and save weight everywhere with clever design....It's what they do nowadays.

Liquid cooling's advantage is that it keeps the motor at a steadier temp regardless of engine load or ambient temp. That's good for making clearances tighter and making more power without detonation. You can make more power...but the engine is more complicated and harder to work on...and the water pump does make extra drag...That's what I meant by my "work harder" comment.

October 2nd has come and gone and I've not seen much on the new GS...just some press releases...no real beef yet.

I'm all for a better mousetrap, but "better" is subjective. The 1200 has "enough" power and is easy to maintain. I'll have to be convinced.
Most of the details about the new GS can be seen in this article

The engine maintains some air-cooling capacity, with high-heat areas "precision cooled" by a new glycol/water mixture. More clever engineering from the Germans.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:57 PM   #26
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:

The engine maintains some air-cooling capacity, with high-heat areas "precision cooled" by a new glycol/water mixture. More clever engineering from the Germans.
Clever, those Japanese.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #27
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:

Having had extensive experience with German cars and bikes I'd say that sometimes "clever" is a euphemism for "overly complex".