Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 09-18-2012, 01:16 PM   #11
schizuki
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Steve View Post
The real advantage of air cooled is ball-peen-hammer simplicity.
Which is why they appeal to my ball-peen hammer simple mind.

Bill Clinton and Chuck Schumer are praising the Supreme Court for overturning an anti-gay-marriage law that they both signed.
schizuki is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2012, 01:40 PM   #12
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushrod View Post
I think this has Sarnali written all over it!

It's so much more bike (including, unfortunately, all the electronic gizmos) than his old Trophy!

Interesting juxtaposition, the appeal of the original Trophy for me anyway was it's basic simplicity, a full boat Sport Tourer without all the gee-wizz electronics. About the only thing "high tech" about it was the electronic ignition and yet oddly enough I got over 60k trouble free and pretty darn enjoyable miles out of it with very minimal maintenance...

Not that I have anything against technology, I think a well sorted EFI system, nicely balanced ABS and even cruise control are welcome additions. However if I had to take all the other touch screen and computerized everything with it I'll opt for simplicity everytime.

I'm happy to have all the whizz bang electronics in my car, I prefer my bikes to be a little more basic.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #13
pushrod
Founding Member

Here's another review, from the U.K.:

Triumph Trophy 1200 review: UK roads - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

Looking forward to KD or one of the other MO staff to give us their $.02!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Here's another review, from the U.K.:

Triumph Trophy 1200 review: UK roads - Road Tests: First Rides - Visordown

Looking forward to KD or one of the other MO staff to give us their $.02!
I take issue with his conclusion, Pushrod.

"My money would go on the standard bike, not the SE version. Why? Becasue the SE's audio speakers are only any real use up to 40mph and the TES just doesn't give me the kind of ride quality I'd expect from a bike this posh. But how could it when there are only three pre-load and three damper settings?"

A) Yes, with the windscreen in the low position wind noise cancels out any listening enjoyment from the stereo at faster speeds. With the windscreen in the high position stereo sound is very good. I rode the entire 250 miles with the windscreen in the high position listening to my iPhone that was Bluetoothed to the Trophy's stereo.

B: Triumph Electronic Suspension is worth the price increase. Even with fully adjustable suspension components most motorcycle owners do not adjust their suspension, and if they do, a setting is chosen and there it remains. TES allows a rider to easily adapt suspension settings depending on load and road condition. The pre-installed setting on TES may no always be the optimum setting but it's certainly better than not setting your manually adjustable components.

And, in the course of one day, a sport-touring rider may encounter a variety of road surfaces. Because of the ease of push button selection, I found myself changing damping settings from Sprot to Comfort when changing from twisty two-laners to freeways. I've done the same on other bikes including BMWs and Ducatis and have come to fully appreciate the technology.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:38 AM   #15
pushrod
Founding Member

Thanks for your opinions, TR!

I agree with you; I just provided the link to another guy's impressions.

Personally, I have no use for a radio/entertainment system on a bike. And, the way I ride, I'd probably get by with one suspension setup.

But I still think it is a nice package!

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 AM   #16
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Marketing Release

Built for supreme comfort and agile handling, the Trophy SE is equipped with everything you need to ride in style. Starting at $18,999, this bike features high-level equipment such as cruise control, traction control, SiriusXM™ Satellite Radio, Bluetooth® connectivity, electronic screen adjustment, electronic suspension adjustment and ABS as standard. The Trophy SE also includes extended service intervals and a two-year manufacturer warranty for added peace of mind.
In stores January 2013.

To prebook your test ride, click here.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:55 PM   #17
seruzawa
The Toad

The oilhead might weigh 100lbs less but remember that BMW's own brick1200GT weighed about what the Trophy does and no one bytched about it. Honda's ST1300 weighs about 70lbs more than the Trophy and, again, no one is bytching about it. ~650lbs for a touring bike is light relative to most tourers. 1000lb Goldwings, 800lb Harleys and Polarises. Heck There are ~900cc cruisers that weigh this much. Cut some freaking slack.

If you want less weight there are 1050 and 800cc Tigers and some KTMs to look at. All competent tourers.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #18
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
And, the way I ride, I'd probably get by with one suspension setup.
The local Ducati dealer let me take their demo MultiStrada out for an afternoon. I tried all the combinations of suspension settings, power settings, etc. I'm sure I'd just put it in "everything sport" mode and leave it there.

This idea of having the bike decide what your suspension settings should be on the fly kind of bugs me. I guess it would be ok as long as you have the option to tell the computer to eff off and leave it the way I set it.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:33 AM   #19
pushrod
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
This idea of having the bike decide what your suspension settings should be on the fly kind of bugs me. I guess it would be ok as long as you have the option to tell the computer to eff off and leave it the way I set it.
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 AM   #20
Captain Steve
Registered Member

Quote:
"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
"Open the side case Hal .... Open the side case Hal ..."

$#@#%$