Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 Review - Video (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20543-2013-bmw-s1000rr-hp4-review-video.html)

Administrator 09-11-2012 02:18 PM

2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 Review - Video

Original Article:
2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 Review - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2013 BMW S1000RR HP4 Review - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

proheli 09-11-2012 10:25 PM

Wow, Now that is spectacular. I have no problems or issues with declaring it the best production sportbike ever - at least for now. I could gush on but all that would do would be to repeat the obvious. So, then the only thing that I didn't agree with in the entire article is this, "... it also elevates the S1000RR platform to the exotic levels of Ducati and Aprilia – a threshold BMW’s superbike previously had difficulty achieving." Well, I guess I don't agree with this. I don't find anything exotic about it at all. Advanced, effective, hi-tech... but unless I'm missing it, and I am looking pretty closely, its just another wide-like inline four, with plasto japanese style bodywork. Its not Bugatti, Aprilia, Ferrari, Lambo. Its more M3/SuburuWRX than Ducati.

There is just still no je ne sais quoi...

It would probably sell a truckload if there was an ounce of spirit in it anywhere. But now I think it will just sell a few...

The Spaceman 09-12-2012 06:33 AM

"I got a big wheelie during my launch that caused me to back off the throttle, so perhaps the next-gen LC will be better. However, it must be said that no other journo who tested LC got the front end more than a few inches off the ground, so my incident seems to be an anomaly."

It figures Mr. Duke would be the only one pulling a wheelie in LC mode. Nothing anomalous about that at all...

jmdonald 09-12-2012 06:48 AM

Special

This bike is special. The performance upgrades are just what the Doctor ordered. Mr. Dukes video narration was flawless.

pushrod 09-12-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 277461)
"I got a big wheelie during my launch that caused me to back off the throttle, so perhaps the next-gen LC will be better. However, it must be said that no other journo who tested LC got the front end more than a few inches off the ground, so my incident seems to be an anomaly."

It figures Mr. Duke would be the only one pulling a wheelie in LC mode. Nothing anomalous about that at all...

Most probably, there was a camera pointed at him...

Buzglyd 09-12-2012 08:38 AM

Should we be patiently waiting for an HP6 K1600GT?

Kevin_Duke 09-12-2012 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pushrod (Post 277467)
Most probably, there was a camera pointed at him...

I wish there was a camera pointed at me, as I'd surely share it. Or, better, yet a vid cam so we could see the visual evidence. Weird how the WC didn't seem to work.

Kevin_Duke 09-12-2012 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 277468)
Should we be patiently waiting for an HP6 K1600GT?

I don't think you should hold your breath for that one, but it would make for an exciting concept!

Kevin_Duke 09-12-2012 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by proheli (Post 277457)
Wow, Now that is spectacular. I have no problems or issues with declaring it the best production sportbike ever - at least for now. I could gush on but all that would do would be to repeat the obvious. So, then the only thing that I didn't agree with in the entire article is this, "... it also elevates the S1000RR platform to the exotic levels of Ducati and Aprilia – a threshold BMW’s superbike previously had difficulty achieving." Well, I guess I don't agree with this. I don't find anything exotic about it at all. Advanced, effective, hi-tech... but unless I'm missing it, and I am looking pretty closely, its just another wide-like inline four, with plasto japanese style bodywork. Its not Bugatti, Aprilia, Ferrari, Lambo. Its more M3/SuburuWRX than Ducati.

There is just still no je ne sais quoi...

It would probably sell a truckload if there was an ounce of spirit in it anywhere. But now I think it will just sell a few...

An engineering-focused spirit is still spirit! While it's impossible (except for Yamaha) to create an inline-Four that exudes exclusivity, it's also impossible to say that the world's most powerful 1000cc motor is boring.

proheli 09-12-2012 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 277475)
An engineering-focused spirit is still spirit! While it's impossible (except for Yamaha) to create an inline-Four that exudes exclusivity, it's also impossible to say that the world's most powerful 1000cc motor is boring.

You're right of course, I'd don't know why I said that in a negative way. Now, I disagree with my first post 75%, but I still agree 25%. And that is an important 25%!