Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #11
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spaceman View Post
"Personally, I don’t give much thought to the environmental benefits of electric vehicles simply because the emissions still come from somewhere."

Re-read the article and noticed this quote. It's a good thing to evaluate an e-bike with the same parameters as a gas bike. The bike should stand on its performance.

Having said that, the environmental and fuel usage benefits of E-bikes are substantial and should not be ignored. The e-bike will use a fraction of the fuel for the same amount of "work" as a gas bike. On the pollution side: even in a coal-fired power plant scenario, the e-bike will produce less emissions. Obviously hydro, natural gas, and nuke plants are even better.

Buzz?
Perhaps you're not taking into account the dangerous compounds that must be mined from the earth to make the battery.

Lithium, Cobalt and other fun things aren't contained in Unicorn tears.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
Perhaps you're not taking into account the dangerous compounds that must be mined from the earth to make the battery.

Lithium, Cobalt and other fun things aren't contained in Unicorn tears.
Thanks Buzz.

Wolf, back to you at the Situation Room.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

If the Gub'ment spent their money on upgrading fly ash precipitators and coal burners instead of placing mirrors and windmills in the desert they could cut sulfur and nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions in half. Older gas fired boilers can be retro fitted with low NOx burners and reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions by 30% on average.

The technology is out there, but appearently there's no political capital to be made by such behind the scenes improvements so they go for the usual pablum and dramatic visuals.

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:24 AM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarnali2 View Post
If the Gub'ment spent their money on upgrading fly ash precipitators and coal burners instead of placing mirrors and windmills in the desert they could cut sulfur and nitrogen dioxide and particulate emissions in half. Older gas fired boilers can be retro fitted with low NOx burners and reduce oxides of nitrogen emissions by 30% on average.

The technology is out there, but appearently there's no political capital to be made by such behind the scenes improvements so they go for the usual pablum and dramatic visuals.
Ah, so now govt handouts are good?
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
They're going to hand it out anyway - might as well be for something useful.

Personally, I'd prefer Uncle Sam didn't HAVE enough excess to hand out for "social engineering" projects of ANY sort in the first place. But that's not a subject for this thread (nor do I have enough time for a diatribe), and we're already far-enough off-topic as it is.
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 PM   #16
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
They're going to hand it out anyway - might as well be for something useful.

Personally, I'd prefer Uncle Sam didn't HAVE enough excess to hand out for "social engineering" projects of ANY sort in the first place. But that's not a subject for this thread (nor do I have enough time for a diatribe), and we're already far-enough off-topic as it is.
Thanks for the tastefully mature response, 'Hawk! Now, let's get back to the Lightning. Anyone want to make fun of Trizzle giggling like a schoolgirl in his helmet?
Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #17
sarnali2
Aging Cafe` Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post

You mistake me for the other knee-jerk reactionary right wingers around here mon' frer' ... I don't have a problem with Government working for the common good of the peeps, it's where they draw the line that needs to be watched.

At any rate 'lectric vehicles will be a viable option at some point and when that day comes I'll give one a whirl. Anything with two wheels floats my boat, I imagine it is a hell of a rush to blast along with quiet turbine like smoothness. Giggling like a schoolgirl indeed! lol

"He said he's farting because of his medication"...
sarnali2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 09:00 PM   #18
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Anything with two wheels floats my boat.
Me, too, so we're in the same club!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:59 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

Quote:
Anything with two wheels floats my boat, I imagine it is a hell of a rush to blast along with quiet turbine like smoothness. Giggling like a schoolgirl indeed! lol
Yeah, but I'll never get used to 4-stroke Vespas. They're supposed to be wing-dingers dammit!