Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20463-2012-ducati-diavel-cromo-review.html)

Administrator 08-13-2012 02:02 PM

2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo Review

Original Article:
2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Ducati Diavel Cromo Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 08-13-2012 03:22 PM

Performance through low weight

It was Colin Chapman's philosophy and it seems to be Lamborghini/Ducati's as well. I did not see (or understand) the power cruiser market segment but I see it now.

schizuki 08-13-2012 03:22 PM

Chromo? Reminds me of that Simpsons episode where Homer rejects pregnant Marge's suggestions for names for their new baby boy because they have easily-mocked rhyming nicknames. Then she suggests Bart:

Marge: What about Bart?

Homer: Let's see. Bart, dart, cart, e-art. Nope, can't see any problems with that.

Duken4evr 08-13-2012 04:16 PM

The quarter mile times seem even faster than the engine's considerable output would suggest. Chalk it up to V-Twin hookup out of the hole and long wheelbase. I bet this bike is pretty hard to beat in a 1/8th mile run.

A buddy of mine had a modded TL1000 with a long swingarm and a seriously modded engine (crank work, heads ported, crazy compression, etc) that dynoed at 140 hp. That thing punted the rider forward so damn hard and yet utterly controllable, with just a low wheelie. He competed in bracket racing (got 1st place too) running about idential times to this Diavel - low 10s. The twin is very repeatable and comparatively "easy" to consitently run the 1/4 mile on, making it great for bracket racing, which rewards consistency over ultimate speed.

Can't wait for the comparo!

Buzglyd 08-13-2012 05:38 PM

I like the Carbon better.

Does the Chromo come with the nifty forged wheels? I think the Carbon does. The fancier wheels are worth the price of admission alone.

I did a demo ride on one a few months ago here (it was sponsored by CW). It really is an amazing ride and seems to get better looking after you ride one.

I've known a few girls like that.

The Spaceman 08-15-2012 05:14 AM

And people say VStroms are ugly...yeesh. This bike looks like a dog that's been chasing parked cars.

Any chance you could throw a Harley V-Rod in with the V-Max for your upcoming comparo? Come to think of it, is HD still building V-Rods?

Buzglyd 08-15-2012 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 276899)
And people say VStroms are ugly...yeesh. This bike looks like a dog that's been chasing parked cars.

Any chance you could throw a Harley V-Rod in with the V-Max for your upcoming comparo? Come to think of it, is HD still building V-Rods?

The VRod is nicer looking. In any other measure, it will get hosed.

sliphorn 08-15-2012 07:18 AM

In the specs box you show the valve service inspection as 24,000km (24,000m). That should be 15,000m not 24,000m. Or more accurately as 14,880m.

Auphliam 08-15-2012 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 276904)
The VRod is nicer looking. In any other measure, it will get hosed.

I thought that was supposed to be their claim to fame? Straight line speed I mean...not 'hosing'.

About the Duck, I cannot begin to express how much I would love to have one of these in my possession. It just looks like mad fun.

seruzawa 08-15-2012 08:41 AM

Ugliest Duck since the Indiana. Looks like a mating between the Alien and a walrus. It f***ing better perform well if they want to sell any.

I take that back. BMW sold plenty of those clownish laugh-riot 1200Cs. No way to predict the "taste" of the buying public.