Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 08-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #21
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzglyd View Post
The Diavel gets a lot better looking after you ride it, eh?
Although not directly up my alley, it's a splendid and unique ride. As for its appearance, it has a plethora of interesting design touches that add up to a cool machine for riders that don't care about dragging a knee on a cramped sportbike.

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #22
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Although not directly up my alley, it's a splendid and unique ride. As for its appearance, it has a plethora of interesting design touches that add up to a cool machine for riders that don't care about dragging a knee on a cramped sportbike.
I like the carbon. The fancier wheels are worth the extra dough and are lighter than the standard version.
Buzglyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #23
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
I like the carbon. The fancier wheels are worth the extra dough and are lighter than the standard version.
Yep, the Carbon has the forged wheels, nice not only cuz they're lighter, but also for their sweet machined edges that sparkle. However, they help bump its MSRP and extra Thou over the Cromo.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #24
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
I like the carbon.
Carbon...it's the new chrome.
Old 08-15-2012, 01:59 PM   #25
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
Who's claim to fame and who's claiming it.

The VRod was supposed to be the modern liquid-cooled H-D that all the air-cooled haters said they would buy. And then they didn't.
To be fair, more of the "Air-Cooled Hataz" bought them than "Motor Company Faithful". It's Openly Reviled and (unofficially) unwelcome at HOG events still, IIRC....
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 03:03 PM   #26
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
To be fair, more of the "Air-Cooled Hataz" bought them than "Motor Company Faithful". It's Openly Reviled and (unofficially) unwelcome at HOG events still, IIRC....
I don't know about the whole unwelcome thing. I see quite a few at the local biker bars around here.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:14 PM   #27
Duken4evr
Founding Member

It has been a long time since the VRod came out. HD can't expect that it would be a big hit right out of the gate and that it would prosper if not updated. They did not try hard enough. Victory is in a better position to do the power cruiser thing anyway. I would like to see them build something with tech parity to this Ducati.

Problem with those dreams, if we are honest, is most performance oriented riders are cost/benefit oriented, so cost definitely factors in. Cool bike this Duc is, but it will likely remain a curiosity and not sell in great numbers as it is expensive. The updated Star VMax is amazing, but not many are biting at it's lofty asking price, while HD sells many air cooled 65 hp bikes at the same price point. Boggles my mind. I truly don't get it - never will.

Performance oriented riders like myself are a tough nut. Gotta admit, Harley is brilliant for barely trying with the VRod. They made an effort, but really, why bother with cheapskates like myself. I am not profitable business...
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #28
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Cool bike this Duc is, but it will likely remain a curiosity and not sell in great numbers as it is expensive. .
Ducati says the Diavel is a key to its record-breaking North American sales.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:21 AM   #29
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
I don't have any real data to support this, but from what I saw during my tenure at Rossmeyer HD, V-Rods were being bought by existing customers and customers who came in looking for "a Harley." No doubt HD hoped the 'Rod would bring in new blood, but I don't think it did, at least not in significant numbers. And I never saw anybody get dissed at an HD event for being on one.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:02 AM   #30
Buzglyd
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke View Post
Ducati says the Diavel is a key to its record-breaking North American sales.
I don't know about that one unless it's the "halo" effect.

I don't know if I've seen one on the road yet in a non-test situation. The local dealers have three or four on the floor each.

The Diavel was very tempting after I rode it but for my money, I think I'd save a truckload of cash and get the Aprilia Tuono.