Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: The First Accident (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20437-motorcycle-beginner-year-2-first-accident.html)

Administrator 08-02-2012 12:54 PM

Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: The First Accident

Original Article:
Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: The First Accident

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: The First Accident in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

trenttheuncatchable 08-02-2012 01:38 PM

Thanks for the write-up .. looking forward to the next one. Glad you're okay after your accident.

Beer Baron 08-02-2012 02:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you are okay.

So let me understand this situation. You were hit from behind when you were at a complete stop and the other driver was completely at fault. You had to pay a deductible (amount was not disclosed) and your bike was considered totaled. So you are out your bike and the deductible and you are given $1200 which is less than you paid for the bike which you have owned for a few months.

Were all those repairs needed? Were some cosmetic like maybe the tank?

It just seems to me that you were given the short end of the stick especially for not being at fault.

Either way I hope you find a good deal on your next bike.

sacamano 08-02-2012 02:36 PM

Glad you're alright.

Question: At any point after the accident, did you have second thoughts about riding again? Your candor will be appreciated.

Dennis Chung 08-02-2012 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Baron (Post 276651)
Sorry to hear about the accident and glad you are okay.

So let me understand this situation. You were hit from behind when you were at a complete stop and the other driver was completely at fault. You had to pay a deductible (amount was not disclosed) and your bike was considered totaled. So you are out your bike and the deductible and you are given $1200 which is less than you paid for the bike which you have owned for a few months.

Were all those repairs needed? Were some cosmetic like maybe the tank?

It just seems to me that you were given the short end of the stick especially for not being at fault.

Either way I hope you find a good deal on your next bike.

No deductible. I didn't have to pay a cent as it was not my fault. Because I live in a no-fault insurance system, my insurance company foots the bill, but I don't take a hit either in a deductible or to my premiums.

The $1200 was lower than the price I paid, but with tax the total comes to $1356, but my purchase price also included a set of saddlebags, a tank bag and various other accessories which were unharmed and still usable. I still took a hit but the add-ons narrow the gap a bit. This really says more about the difference between Blue Book value and used motorcycle prices in my area. It's also one of the trade-offs about buying a cheap, older used bike. It's worth noting I did get higher than Kelly Blue Book listed the bike.

Some of those repairs may not have been necessary, but a lot of it was. It really doesn't take much before repair costs plus the salvage value exceed the cash value, which is when my insurance company decides it's not worth it.

As for sacamano's question, no, I don't have second thoughts about riding again. It was unfortunate, and I was a little shaken for a few hours afterward. But I still rode to the collision reporting center and even to work a couple of days afterward. I know my girlfriend doesn't like it but I will ride again.

Beer Baron 08-02-2012 03:17 PM

Thanks for the explanation Dennis. I must have misunderstood about the deductible.

Again glad you are okay and enjoy the new bike search.

SpeedwayRN 08-02-2012 04:35 PM

One thing that was left out of the the report was did they check to see if the frame was bent?
That would be a deciding factor as to if I would want to rebuild/put up with the cosmetic damage.

rfox 08-03-2012 05:45 AM

My daughter and I are following (her 3rd season).
First: We are happy to hear you are Ok and riding again.
2nd: Gotta love "no fault" :-( When I left MA, not only was it a no-fault state, but the liberals actually legislated what you paid! My company offered a year end, good driver rebate, but they were not permitted to sent to me b/c it would have reduced my rate!
3rd: We use "Hyperlites"(.com) Legal in most states and not inexpensive, but well made, easy to install, and grab the attention of most distracted drivers. When the semi bumped my dad's RT1100 from behind, the driver said it would have been much worse if the flashing rear diodes had not redirected his attention from the bikini across the street to the bike stopped at the crosswalk for the baby stroller.... nothing more than a bit of bent plastic.

Roadrogue 08-03-2012 06:08 AM

So the bike basically fell over and the bike shop totalled up everything they could think of until it's a write off. That's an outrage. You had case guards so how could the clutch cover, ignition cover be damaged? I can see in the photo that they aren't. I'm guessing the muffler was lightly scratched, if at all. Doubt the tank had much if any damage also. And I'm skeptical about the master cylinder. Why "total" a bike over a little minor cosmetic damage? Where is common sense and honesty?

Over the years I've been hit from behind like that twice. In both cases I just dealt with the minor damage myself and kept the insurance companies the heck out of it.

neo1piv014 08-03-2012 07:19 AM

I'm glad you're alright. I had a bike that was written off as salvage after it was stolen and trashed. It sucks to see your first bike go, since you'll never own another bike as special as that one, but $1200 will definitely get you somewhere with a new one. Any potential prospects on a new bike yet?