Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20424-2012-triumph-tiger-explorer-review.html)

Administrator 07-25-2012 02:17 PM

2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Review

Original Article:
2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Triumph Tiger Explorer Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

jmdonald 07-25-2012 02:41 PM

I want to like it

I really want to like this new Tiger but something is holding me back. I look forward to your review/comparison to the other offerings in this category. It must be the extra weight. Only a truly literal unbiased review will put my concerns to rest.

Kevin_Duke 07-25-2012 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmdonald (Post 276504)
I really want to like this new Tiger but something is holding me back. I look forward to your review/comparison to the other offerings in this category. It must be the extra weight. Only a truly literal unbiased review will put my concerns to rest.

It'll be interesting to evaluate the five different ways of achieving a similar goal. But if you want to get really gnarly off-road, it'll be tough to beat that KTM...

sliphorn 07-25-2012 04:36 PM

Yup, I really wanna like this beast too. I'm a Triumph triple fan, but this bike is too pudgy, methinks.

As soon as I saw which bikes y'all will be comparing I immediately thought the same as you, Kevin. It's gonna be tough to beat the KTM in any off road comparisons.

I'm looking forward to it.

sliphorn 07-25-2012 04:48 PM

Mr. Roderick used the word "whence" in his review. However, he used it just once, so, I guess I'll shut up for now.

Duken4evr 07-25-2012 04:48 PM

Will probably replace the FZ1 with one of these down the road. Looks like the perfect Colorado bike. We have lots of graded dirt roads. No way I am taking any big ADV bike down anything more rugged than that.

The big triples are such wonderful engines - sound and power wise. No doubt this one is no different.

jmdonald 07-25-2012 08:28 PM

Absolutely

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duken4evr (Post 276511)
Will probably replace the FZ1 with one of these down the road. Looks like the perfect Colorado bike. We have lots of graded dirt roads. No way I am taking any big ADV bike down anything more rugged than that.

The big triples are such wonderful engines - sound and power wise. No doubt this one is no different.

Amen brother.

The Spaceman 07-26-2012 05:43 AM

The local Ducati/Triumph dealer had two of these on the sales floor Saturday. They have them on a rear wheel stand so you can sit on them in a normal riding position. I found the ergonomics to be just about perfect with the seat in the high position. And the bike looks very "finished;" I didn't see a single wire, hose, etc. that looked out of place. But the tank and body of the bike seemed gigantic from the rider's seat; I guess you'd get used to it, but it sure looked weird to me. I didn't notice the windscreen is non-adjustable! That's just dumb for a bike of this type and price. Madstad will fix that I'm sure.

So a big ADV bike comparo is in the offing? Sounds like y'all are going to have some great fun with that. I'm looking forward to reading the results.

pushrod 07-26-2012 06:11 AM

Make sure you put the beefy skidplate on the Super-Ten before you set out. Don't 'Valdez' it like MCN did theirs.

And, if possible, try to have the same rubber on all the bikes.

Huss 07-26-2012 12:46 PM

You boys do not seem too impressed with the bike.
It does seem like Triumph got a bit carried away with the size of the thing.

The group test should be one of the most interesting in a long time.

My prediction for the fight? PAIN! I mean the Stelvio will take it.