Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-20-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
pushrod
Founding Member

Here is the KTM service interval 'page': http://www.ktm.com/uploads/tx_downlo...05_2012_EN.pdf. Note that the time for labor is provided.

Apparently the valves are checked/adjusted every other service. The valve procedure is not a big deal, but there is a lot of time used up in removing/installing the interference (fairings, etc.).

I have become -
Comfortably Numb.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob-SV650 View Post

I think the Multi is a better suited comparison than the V-Strom, not that I've ever ridden a Multi. The V-Strom is a great bike and excels in many areas, but it feels like a soulless appliance compared to the KTM. The SM-T has soul and character.
ap·pli·ance   /əˈplaɪəns/ Show Spelled [uh-plahy-uhns] Show IPA noun, verb, ap·pli·anced, ap·pli·anc·ing.
noun
1. an instrument, apparatus, or device for a particular purpose or use.

Which in my case happens to be hauling ass, getting where I'm going and having fun doing it, and not spending time and money at the repair shop. I had a lifetime's worth of "soul and character" riding a '77 Low Rider Shovelhead for 17 years. I'm over it.
Old 07-20-2012, 11:54 AM   #13
Huss
Founding Member

How was the fueling on the SMT?
I know it mentions 'crisp' but the 990 ADV I rode also was crisp BUT surged horribly on a constant throttle.
I'd say the worst FI application I've ever experienced. KTM rep said 'they all do that'....
Huss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #14
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice job on the review. It's good to see one on such a kick ass bike that hardly anyone knows about. I can't believe that everyone who rides isn't drooling over this bike.

A couple comments to the remarks...

I've owned a DL1000 and now own an SM-T. Differences are:
*The SM-T weighs about 475 wet. The V-Strom weighs about 525.
*SM-T makes about 15-20 more HP.
*SM-T's components (brakes, clutch, suspension) really feel like top notch stuff, the V-Strom's feel like standard middle of the road Japanese bike parts.
*The LC8 revs MUCH faster than the Suzuki twin, it makes it feel like a tractor really... it has that hyper, itching-to-go light flywheel feeling. It's not as much fun to ride slowly as the Strom for the same reasons that make it more exciting.
*The V-Strom has a larger seating area. The stock DL seat sucks, but a Sargent is super comfy for like $300, I think. SM-T seat is smaller so it's limited in ultimate comfort, but they got the foam and shape right so it doesn't need an aftermarket seat - good thing, because choices are very limited.
*Mapping changes are super easy on the SM-T with a laptop, a freeware program and a cable you can make. You'll definitely want to turn off the O2 sensors for better small-throttle-opening fueling, and turn off the 2nd and 3rd gear power restriction. You can also load the Akra maps if you put aftermarket slip-ons or a full exhaust.
*If you want the V-Strom to remotely handle in the SM-T's league, you have to ditch the dual-sport tires and put sport touring tires on. I was very happy with the Avon Azaros I put on mine. There are several other ST tires available today for V-Strom/GS rim sizes.
*Luggage is a wash because you'll want (need) to add "real" luggage to the SM-T anyway. This is because 1) the stock bags hardly hold anything, and 2) the zippers suck and will break within a year of heavy use, and you WILL overstuff them due to their small size. SW Motech makes quick release mounts that can adapt to just about any maker's hard side bags and pop on and off easily, and the top cases KTM sells (made by Shad) mount directly to the luggage rack and only cost about ~$150. Personally, I just leave the 37L top case on and no side bags most of the time. I put on a pair of huge Givi E41 side cases for 2-up travel. They look goofy on the bike they're so huge, and in retrospect, for most uses a smaller pair would be more appropriate.
*On the SM-T, you will want better wind protection for highway use. The Givi windshield is WAY better than stock. After almost a year, I swapped the stocker back on for a ride and was instantly annoyed. I was fine with the V-Strom stocker. I hated the Cee Bailey the PO put on it.

I think the Multi is a better suited comparison than the V-Strom, not that I've ever ridden a Multi. The V-Strom is a great bike and excels in many areas, but it feels like a soulless appliance compared to the KTM. The SM-T has soul and character.

SM-T gas tank is 5 gallons, for the person that asked.

I'm going on 15K miles now, no issues. Change the oil every 5K, adjust the valves at 10K. Change the clutch fluid a little more often than normal, there is a known issue with clutch slave cylinders going out and keeping the fluid fresh helps.
Wow, great info! And you're right, the SMT is better matched against the Multi than the Vstrom, but even then, they're quite distinct.
Old 07-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Trizzle
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
How was the fueling on the SMT?
I know it mentions 'crisp' but the 990 ADV I rode also was crisp BUT surged horribly on a constant throttle.
I'd say the worst FI application I've ever experienced. KTM rep said 'they all do that'....
Sucks you had a crappy experience, and what sounds like, a crappy rep, but our SMT test bike didn't have any of the surging issues you mention. I put quite a few freeway miles on that bike, too. I currently have a 990 ADV in my garage right now that's slated for testing, and though I haven't put a ton of miles on it (yet!), constant throttle surging is not something I recall it doing.
Trizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 04:13 PM   #16
The Spaceman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trizzle View Post
Sucks you had a crappy experience, and what sounds like, a crappy rep, but our SMT test bike didn't have any of the surging issues you mention. I put quite a few freeway miles on that bike, too. I currently have a 990 ADV in my garage right now that's slated for testing, and though I haven't put a ton of miles on it (yet!), constant throttle surging is not something I recall it doing.
In my experience, surging on an EFI bike is usually the result of poor throttle body synchronization, which is also one of the jobs a lot of mechanics suck (haha) at.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:56 AM   #17
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Put a set of exhaust cans on the V-Strom and it will sound beautiful, giving it more character than most. Great bang for the buck bikes they are.

I like this KTM though. Good proven motor, elemental without added tech, highly effective performance and it has the Euro cool factor. I have not met anyone in "real life" who owns one, but everyone I have read online, like Rob-SV650 above, that owns one loves it.

Last edited by Duken4evr : 07-21-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
Rob-SV650
Founding Member

The KTMs have been known to suffer from snatchy FI, especially earlier years. The early 990 Adventures (like '07 and '08 ) were supposed to be bad (one of the reasons I bought a left over '06 950A with a carb back then). I also remember some of the magazines reported oddities with their Super Duke test bike where the idle speed would jump all over the place.

The SMTs were never that bad, but the '11 and later ones have a revised map from the '10 and earlier ones and it IS smoother.

For ~$30 to make a cable and some free software called TuneECU, you can hook into your ECU and play with with your FI mapping.... but more importantly, you can A) upload the '11+ map to your bike (a dealer can do this too), B) turn off the O2 sensors (big improvement at small throttle openings), and C) turn off the 2nd and 3rd gear power/response softening.

TuneECU also works with Triumphs, Aprilias and Benellis. The cable varies slightly between the makes. They have instructions just about anyone can follow on how to buy/make the cable.

Last edited by Rob-SV650 : 07-23-2012 at 10:55 AM.
Rob-SV650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 11:52 PM   #19
seruzawa
The Toad

The lightest of the big ATs (and thus the best off road) and competitive pricing from KTM for a change. What's not to like?
Old 07-24-2012, 06:07 PM   #20
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
The KTMs have been known to suffer from snatchy FI, especially earlier years. The early 990 Adventures (like '07 and '08 ) were supposed to be bad (one of the reasons I bought a left over '06 950A with a carb back then). I also remember some of the magazines reported oddities with their Super Duke test bike where the idle speed would jump all over the place.

The SMTs were never that bad, but the '11 and later ones have a revised map from the '10 and earlier ones and it IS smoother.

For ~$30 to make a cable and some free software called TuneECU, you can hook into your ECU and play with with your FI mapping.... but more importantly, you can A) upload the '11+ map to your bike (a dealer can do this too), B) turn off the O2 sensors (big improvement at small throttle openings), and C) turn off the 2nd and 3rd gear power/response softening.

TuneECU also works with Triumphs, Aprilias and Benellis. The cable varies slightly between the makes. They have instructions just about anyone can follow on how to buy/make the cable.
Good info, Rob! Thx for sharing.