Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: Motorcycle Ownership (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20394-motorcycle-beginner-year-2-motorcycle-ownership.html)

Administrator 07-12-2012 02:58 PM

Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: Motorcycle Ownership

Original Article:
Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: Motorcycle Ownership

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Motorcycle Beginner - Year 2: Motorcycle Ownership in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 07-13-2012 06:39 AM

It's pretty neat that a 23 year old Suzuki is still a valuable commodity, giving good service to it's owners. I doubt there's many cars of that age out there that somebody would enjoy using as much as the bike. The Suzuki still looks fairly modern too, with a perimeter frame, nice wheels, etc. Score another point for bikes versus cages!

About the gas gauge; I doubt it will be an issue for you after a few months with the new old bike. The first bike I owned in '72 didn't have one, and none of them did until the VStrom 1000 came along. After a while you'll be tracking fuel use subconciously, and not even think twice about switching to Reserve when it's time.

That's an ugly cliffhanger ending to the story. I hope the old Suzuki came out ok; we know you're still alive and well, else you wouldn't be writing the article!

Kevin_Duke 07-13-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 276235)
About the gas gauge; I doubt it will be an issue for you after a few months with the new old bike. The first bike I owned in '72 didn't have one, and none of them did until the VStrom 1000 came along. After a while you'll be tracking fuel use subconciously, and not even think twice about switching to Reserve when it's time.

That's an ugly cliffhanger ending to the story. I hope the old Suzuki came out ok; we know you're still alive and well, else you wouldn't be writing the article!

Yeah, not having a fuel gauge is something easily accustomed to by working with the trip meter. The cliffhanger is a nice tease to the next in the series. Have no fear, as Dennis is still pounding out news on MO and miles on his bike!

jmdonald 07-13-2012 10:39 AM

Very Interesting

Fun story. Glad to hear D.C. is alive and well and terrorizing the streets of Toronto. Remember, Interpol searches Motorcycle sites looking for international criminals. Choosing not to maintain a low profile opens you up to eventual capture.

Duken4evr 07-16-2012 08:32 PM

Fun reading through the eyes of a new rider. Nice simple bike, that old Suzuki. That powerplant has been around for a very long time and it is well proven.

As far as winter storage, some stabil in a full tank and run it a bit, pull the battery and put a tender on it and that is about good enough :)