Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default Riding Safe: Crash Avoidance

Original Article:
Riding Safe: Crash Avoidance

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Riding Safe: Crash Avoidance in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
The_AirHawk
Founding Member

Quote:
This distrust also applies to cyclists, pedestrians, animals and birds – basically anything not attached to the ground or too heavy to move of its own volition. Included in this category are other motorcyclists.
You can say that again.

First time ever I rode with the PGR at a Funeral, I was nearly ass-packed by a woman on her raked Sportster.

We were in the procession going to the cemetary, and bikes were strung-out for a couple of miles of rural backroads, all following-behind the Family and Friends of the Soldier. The pack was traversing the next-to-last major intersection before our destination (which the Sheriff Dept. was blocking for us); a left-turn onto US71. Most merely slowed-down and rolled-through the light (at the urging of the Deputy), and the procession gained-speed and "gapped" a few-hundred feet or so - nothing a moto couldn't catch easily, without even "speeding", so each bike accelerated to catch up as the got on the highway.

I happened to see a flash in my rearview out of the corner of my eye (the headlight of her bike wildly ziz-zagging back and forth), and I turned my head just barely in time to react and swerve to the shoulder as she rocketed-by through the space I had vacated only a few tenths-of-a-second before: she was hard on the throttle, moving about 25mph faster than me, and accelerating. (Open pipes tell no lies)

She finally gets it back under "control" (loosely-used term, here) by chopping the throttle and locking the back brake, almost kissing the bumper of a Cadillac three bikes up (they were all luckily in the left side of the lane). As I think she was too embarassed, she didn't fall-back into her previous spot, just stayed glued to the bumper of the Caddy until we got to the cemetary.

After the ceremony, she sought me out and apologized. I conceded that no real harm was done, but advised her to practice throttle and clutch control a bit before group-riding again.

"Oh, it warn't THAT!" she exclaimed. "It wuz that GODDAM FRONT BRAKE - th' thang liked to KILT ME!!"

Riiiiiiiiight.........
Let them hate so long as they fear
политики предпочитают безоружных крестьян
Politicians Prefer Unarmed Peasants
Nothing to see here, Citizen. Move along now...
The_AirHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AirHawk View Post
You can say that again.

First time ever I rode with the PGR at a Funeral, I was nearly ass-packed by a woman on her raked Sportster.

"Oh, it warn't THAT!" she exclaimed. "It wuz that GODDAM FRONT BRAKE - th' thang liked to KILT ME!!"

Riiiiiiiiight.........
It makes me embarrassed to be a motorcyclist when I know there's riders like that around us...
Old 07-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
trenttheuncatchable
Founding Member

Good article. Another thing I pay attention to is proper maintenance and high-quality parts. Sintered brake pads give me more (and quicker) stopping power, and good tires let me trust my bike's maneuverability during avoidance swerves, for example.
trenttheuncatchable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #5
bbtowns
Founding Member

Good article, and I always ride with all the gear, but 50% of the photo's on MO the rider is wearing blue jeans. And not the kevlar lined blue jeans. Might be a fine idea to take your own advice too.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
Good article, and I always ride with all the gear, but 50% of the photo's on MO the rider is wearing blue jeans. And not the kevlar lined blue jeans. Might be a fine idea to take your own advice too.
Glad you liked the article, but I have to take issue with your calculations of how often we're wearing jeans and your assessment of whether or not they have Kevlar linings.
Old 07-12-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
Tom Roderick
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbtowns View Post
I currently have four pairs of blue jean riding pants and all are of the motorcycle-specific, kevlar-reinforced variety. Any action photos published on MO of me wearing jeans are while wearing one of the four.
Old 07-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roderick View Post
I currently have four pairs of blue jean riding pants and all are of the motorcycle-specific, kevlar-reinforced variety. Any action photos published on MO of me wearing jeans are while wearing one of the four.
Me, too!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:21 PM   #9
The Spaceman
Registered Member

SMIDSY: "Sorry Mate, I Didn't See You."
Old 07-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #10
Captain Steve
Registered Member

I don't like the "they're out to get you" mentality.
I'm in the "drive like you're invisible" camp.

I think the most important thing on the street is to ride way inside your comfort zone. I try to leave more space between me and the car in front of me than I think I need. I slow down for all corners. I slow down at night. I have to force myself not to "push it a bit".
Captain Steve is offline   Reply With Quote