Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   Safety Series: Bike Selection (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20379-safety-series-bike-selection.html)

Administrator 07-05-2012 02:11 PM

Safety Series: Bike Selection

Original Article:
Safety Series: Bike Selection

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article Safety Series: Bike Selection in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 07-10-2012 09:29 AM

It's great you're doing articles for new riders; in fact, there's a special section in one of the print mags this month that is also intended for noobs. BUT, they didn't lead their article with a photo of a nutcase pulling a power-wheelie on a K1600.

Go MO!

Kevin_Duke 07-10-2012 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 276149)
It's great you're doing articles for new riders; in fact, there's a special section in one of the print mags this month that is also intended for noobs. BUT, they didn't lead their article with a photo of a nutcase pulling a power-wheelie on a K1600.

Go MO!

Where's the damned LIKE button!!

seruzawa 07-10-2012 03:50 PM

At times like this I miss Mr ALLCAPS.

The Street Triple is about as far from a beginner's bike as you can get.

sacamano 07-10-2012 04:01 PM

Great series you're providing on safety!

Given the problem of car drivers not seeing motorcyclists on the road, I'd love to see a piece on best ways to be seen -- apart from clothing. I'm thinking more headlight/taillight modulators, LEDs, turn signals, etc. and their effectiveness, or lack thereof.

Whaddya' think?

Captain Steve 07-10-2012 10:19 PM

I admit I laughed at the "safety article series" featuring Kevin riding a wheelie on that (borrowed, $20k) BMW.

Great article. I like this overview type of article because it links to so many others. You can follow your interests if something catches your eye and delve deeper in the single-bike and shootout articles.

I noticed the Wee got a lot of mention. Just shows how much of a swiss army knife that bike is. 650cc is just about the perfect street engine displacement in my opinion. Plenty of power to pass on the highway, and it sips gas. It seems like that bike does everything "pretty good." Commuting, touring, twisties, dirt... not the best at any of those but competent.

The Spaceman 07-11-2012 04:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 276167)

I noticed the Wee got a lot of mention. Just shows how much of a swiss army knife that bike is. 650cc is just about the perfect street engine displacement in my opinion. Plenty of power to pass on the highway, and it sips gas. It seems like that bike does everything "pretty good." Commuting, touring, twisties, dirt... not the best at any of those but competent.

My friend's Wee just pulled an 1,800 mile ride in 2 days alongside my Vee; never skipped a beat, never had any trouble keeping up, even in the mountains. There's probably no better bike for versatility and affordability (and his 650 gets substantially better mileage than my 1000!).

Kevin_Duke 07-11-2012 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seruzawa (Post 276160)
At times like this I miss Mr ALLCAPS.

The Street Triple is about as far from a beginner's bike as you can get.

Read more carefully! It's listed in our Intermediate category. 8-)

Kevin_Duke 07-11-2012 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Steve (Post 276167)
I admit I laughed at the "safety article series" featuring Kevin riding a wheelie on that (borrowed, $20k) BMW.

Great article. I like this overview type of article because it links to so many others. You can follow your interests if something catches your eye and delve deeper in the single-bike and shootout articles.

Glad you "get" it, Cap'n!

jmdonald 07-11-2012 02:46 PM

Like it

I like the Safety Series. As a young lad I looked to aquiring a Speed Triple Type bike after outgrowing my Honda Mini Trail.I feel safer already.