Go Back   Motorcycle Forum > Motorcycle.Com General Discussion > Motorcycle General Discussion

Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Administrator
Administrator

Default 2012 Dual-Sport Shootout - Video

Original Article:
2012 Dual-Sport Shootout - Video

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Dual-Sport Shootout - Video in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.
Administrator is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links Remove Advertisements
Motorcycle Forum
Advertisement
Old 07-05-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Thanks for the write up guys. $1,400 price difference eh?

Lessee. $500 will buy the FCR carb from Sudco or better yet get a used from from a blown up "E" model for less. Scrounge a set of "E" model cams off Thumpertalk for about $150 too, .48 fork springs are about $110, 5.8 shock spring is about $150, Yosh full exhaust is probably $550.

Now take the DRZ for a ride with it's 42 smooth and stout hp, sharper response and firmed up suspension. Something about the DRZ motor too, that my 'Berg 450 shares - flywheel. It finds traction and grunts up nasty rocks like a billy goat. Still needs a 6th gear for the road though.

In the end, the DRZ is a modest bike, but it has real (if softly sprung) fully adjustable cartridge suspension components on it. The can easily be tuned to work way better. The little Husky is undeniably cooler though, no way around that. Always one to root for the underdogs though, probably why I liked the DRZ so much. It really was a gas riding with racier bikes and irritating people with that thing! The DRZ has a just "ride the sh%t out of it personality. Can't find that on a spec sheet but it has it.

Another couple of gratuitous DRZ shots, from my seemingly limitless collection

Insert "woo hoo" here:

'Twas a good rock bike.

I abandoned my loyal DRZ 400 after 9 years together for a sexy Husaberg 450. I am a shallow man, and not getting any younger so it is off to the hot new lady. At least I keep my wife around!

Last edited by Duken4evr : 07-05-2012 at 10:33 PM.
Duken4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 12:15 AM   #3
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duken4evr View Post
Thanks for the write up guys. $1,400 price difference eh?

Lessee. $500 will buy the FCR carb from Sudco... !
The only problem is that lopping off 50 lbs ain't as easy! But, seriously, I really like the DR-Z. Add $500 to the MSRP and add a sixth gear and EFI (and a couple extra ponies), please, and find a way to lose a few pounds. Shouldn't everything in the D-S category have six gears...?
Old 07-06-2012, 07:24 AM   #4
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Agree. I did not call my old DRZ the big yellow pig for nothing you know

The lack of a 6th gear has been a DRZ sore spot. The old DR 350 had 6 speeds, even if they were weirdly spaced.

To be honest, I would love to get my hands on a used Husky TE 610 for day tripping and ADV riding about Colorado. It would not be my primary dirt bike, but they weigh about the same as a DRZ, have 6 speeds so they can do pavement just fine and are probably as competent as a DRZ is off road. The big TE also makes about 50 hp and it is that controllable deep well of old school locomotive type thumper power - great for riding multi gear hooligan worthy long wheelies and growling up a gnarly rock filled mountain trail.

The Husky 610 is known to be durable and valve adjust is screw and locknut. They are sexy looking too, something the DRZ is most decidely not. Sounds like a sweet dual sport to me! If I could only talk the wife in to letting me get another bike. Having a 'Berg 450, trail ready CR 250, TE 610 and the FZ1. I suppose that is a bit much to ask...

Last edited by Duken4evr : 07-06-2012 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:36 AM   #5
jmdonald
Founding Member

Default Great choices

The decision to compare these bikes was a very good one. Both have appealing characteristics respective of their individual personalities. If bikes can have personalities that is. Nice job as usual.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Kevin_Duke
Motorcycle.com Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdonald View Post
The decision to compare these bikes was a very good one. Both have appealing characteristics respective of their individual personalities. If bikes can have personalities that is. Nice job as usual.
Thx, JM. Bikes definitely can have personalities! Especially Italian ones!
Old 07-07-2012, 07:26 AM   #7
Duken4evr
Founding Member

Sexiest dirt bike I have ever seen is my friend's GasGas EC300 Nambotin replica. What a hot Spaniard that thing is! Here she is, playing dirty. As for her personality, think throbby old school 500cc 2 stroke power in a light reactive bike that handles like a 250. Holy crap, this thing is serious as a heart attack. Good thing we live at elevation to tone the thing down. Rode it in Tennessee a couple weeks back and she was real hard to hold onto unless ridden like a 500 - keep the rpm down, shift early and live. Even here in thin air land you have to ride it like that most times. It is a way cool bike.

Funny thing is, the bike now has an e-start kit, key, Shorai battery (headlight stays on with engine off) and it always had a brake light. It came with pressure activated brake switches. In Colorado it is "street legal" and he just got a plate for it. Both my 'Berg 450 and this GG wear plates so we can connect trails and ride through mountain towns.

It is a trip filling up at a gas station on these things and having a cop drive by, feeling that sensation in the pit of the stomach that you are going to be caught doing something that is illegal as hell, then realizing we are insured and (more or less anyway) fully legal.

That sensation of being utterly naughty and yet still legal is what riding a dirt bike with lights is like

Last edited by Duken4evr : 07-07-2012 at 07:43 AM.