Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   EV Live Oregon Report (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20362-ev-live-oregon-report.html)

Administrator 06-29-2012 12:44 PM

EV Live Oregon Report

Original Article:
EV Live Oregon Report

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article EV Live Oregon Report in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

The Spaceman 07-05-2012 11:52 AM

A very interesting article. It's good to see that there is a wide variety of E-vehicle types and capabilities emerging. One theme I see over and over is that the people and companies engaged in developing these vehicles have a real sense of being on the cusp of a paradigm change in transportation. And when you consider that even today's relatively inefficient EVs are an order of magnitude more economical compared to IC; it's hard to see how they fail.

It seems like Lit Motors has been on the radar for a long time now; I would have thought they'd be further along by now than a running prototype.

The "one-wheel Segway" looks pretty cool, and at half the price of a regular Segway, could sell very well. I took the kid to UF a couple weeks ago, and Segways were everywhere. An even smaller one would be a hoot to ride from class to class.

seruzawa 07-05-2012 03:27 PM

Until the Federal subsidies run out......

Buzglyd 07-05-2012 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 276100)
A very interesting article. It's good to see that there is a wide variety of E-vehicle types and capabilities emerging. One theme I see over and over is that the people and companies engaged in developing these vehicles have a real sense of being on the cusp of a paradigm change in transportation. And when you consider that even today's relatively inefficient EVs are an order of magnitude more economical compared to IC; it's hard to see how they fail.

It seems like Lit Motors has been on the radar for a long time now; I would have thought they'd be further along by now than a running prototype.

The "one-wheel Segway" looks pretty cool, and at half the price of a regular Segway, could sell very well. I took the kid to UF a couple weeks ago, and Segways were everywhere. An even smaller one would be a hoot to ride from class to class.

Funny how the gov't is the only institution dumb enough to spend 6 grand on a Segway.

Let me know when you find a private sector company using them.

Kevin_Duke 07-05-2012 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 276105)
Funny how the gov't is the only institution dumb enough to spend 6 grand on a Segway.

Let me know when you find a private sector company using them.

I agree they aren't as useful as the hype predicted, but...

Segway of Savannah - Our Customers

Segway Fun Tours: What our customers think of us? | Segway Fun Tours | Grand Palladium Resort, Mayan Riviera, Cancun, Mexico

Case Studies - Business - Segway

Warehouses - Customers - Business - Segway

Buzglyd 07-05-2012 06:50 PM

We've got a tour company in San Diego where fat midwesterners can forego getting some exercise and ride one of these things.

It's been out a decade now and to call it anything but a niche toy would be untrue. The media told us it was supposed to be a revolution!

The best use of the Segway was Paul Blart - Mall Cop.

Kevin_Duke 07-06-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 276107)
We've got a tour company in San Diego where fat midwesterners can forego getting some exercise and ride one of these things.

It's been out a decade now and to call it anything but a niche toy would be untrue. The media told us it was supposed to be a revolution!

The best use of the Segway was Paul Blart - Mall Cop.

And, worst, it's the only motorized two-wheeler that can't be called a motorcycle!

Buzglyd 07-06-2012 06:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kevin_Duke (Post 276111)
And, worst, it's the only motorized two-wheeler that can't be called a motorcycle!

And it's the only vehicle, no matter how cool the rider, will make one look like a total dork once mounted.

pushrod 07-06-2012 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buzglyd (Post 276112)
And it's the only vehicle, no matter how cool the rider, will make one look like a total dork once mounted.

And the damn things will throw you into a river!

At a fairly low rate of speed...