Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2012 Husqvarna TE250 Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20357-2012-husqvarna-te250-review.html)

Administrator 06-27-2012 02:14 PM

2012 Husqvarna TE250 Review

Original Article:
2012 Husqvarna TE250 Review

Please discuss the Motorcycle.com article 2012 Husqvarna TE250 Review in our Motorcycle Forums below. Use the reply button to let others know your comments or feedback on the article. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, along with your thoughts and personal opinions on the bikes and products we have tested.

trenttheuncatchable 06-28-2012 06:23 AM

"here the exclamation"?

The Spaceman 06-28-2012 07:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 275958)
"here the exclamation"?

There the exclamation, everywhere the exclamation.

The_AirHawk 06-28-2012 08:22 AM

"jmdonald had a Farm: E-I-E-I-O....."

Duken4evr 06-28-2012 06:43 PM

Nice Husky put the emissions garbage in such an exposed place, as if to tell the owner "please, take this sh%t off". Absent that, the trail will take it off for you! Way cool that Husky has developed "off road only" (softly snickering over here) maps for the owners too.

Here in perpetually on fire Colorado, putting plates on "real" dirt bikes is easy. A buddy of mine has a WR250F (the off road model) with a plate. What a sweet mill the WR has. No engine vibes, grunts well off idle for a small bore and it revs to the moon and it is known to be bombproof durable. Price? 3K used for an '07 in very clean shape, replete with an FMF full powerbomb exhaust and JD jet kit.

This sweet little Husky really does have no direct competition, except in states like Colorado, where this type of bike is effectively (and thankfully) meaningless. The CR250 and the Husaberg FE450 in my garage both have plates on them :)

This Husky and the street legal KTMs are perfect for those unfortunates who live in Kaliforniastan and other tough on street legal dirt bike states though. Dunno why Yamaha does not play this game with their excellent new WR450. With FI, there has to be a way to make it pass emissions while allowing owners to put a real map in it once it is in their grubby hands. The big WR is sold as street legal in other countries. Why let KTM have almost all the fun in America?

Kudos to Husky for offering street legal real dirt bikes and for continuing to develop and improve their bikes, as shown by the firmed up suspension, KYB components and forthcoming engine updates. The 310 is an interesting bike. Would love to ride one of those.

bmwclay 06-28-2012 08:32 PM

The 2012 has Ti valves and the 2013 will have steel? Doesn't that drastically shorten maintenance intervals? Wasn't that was the selling point when the WR went dual sport and supermoto. New titanium valves and a longer time to adjustments?

Duken4evr 06-28-2012 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmwclay (Post 275992)
The 2012 has Ti valves and the 2013 will have steel? Doesn't that drastically shorten maintenance intervals? Wasn't that was the selling point when the WR went dual sport and supermoto. New titanium valves and a longer time to adjustments?

Steel valves are more durable but heavier for high rpm applications. The reason to use Ti is it's lightness. It is not uncommon to use Ti on the larger intake valves and steel for the smaller and hot running exhausts. KTM does that.

Not sure how Husky is getting around the weight issue in this high revving 250. Assuming they can work, I prefer 1 piece steel valves.

Kevin_Duke 06-29-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenttheuncatchable (Post 275958)
"here the exclamation"?

Fixed! Thanks.

jmdonald 06-29-2012 12:32 PM

A bike for my youth

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_AirHawk (Post 275966)
"jmdonald had a Farm: E-I-E-I-O....."

In High School I made the jump from an SL100 to a CL175. The CL scrambler was sold as a DP bike. There was no DP to it. It was a street bike with up-swept pipes. If the TE250 was available then, I would have bought one. I like this bike. Maybe it's the idea of off road on road with emphasis on the off road. Yes Hawk you are right. I was a farm boy. No better place to learn how to ride.