Motorcycle Forum

Motorcycle Forum (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycle General Discussion (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/)
-   -   2013 Honda Metropolitan Review (http://www.motorcycle.com/forum/motorcycle-general-discussion/20315-2013-honda-metropolitan-review.html)

Buzglyd 06-08-2012 07:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275725)
Yeah, I like the Zuma too; it reminds me of the old mini-bikes every kid wanted back in the day.

IMO, scooters are supposed to be "Audrey Hepburn" (excellent metaphor, BTW). Scooters are inherently gay (and I don't mean "gay" in the sexual orientation context). They should be cheery, small, unthreatening, and generally light in their loafers. When you put big-ass motors and B-King styling on them, they become "not really" scooters and "not really" motorcycles, and they don't fill either role very well.

There's an interesting story in one of the print mags this month on a Ruckus club that modifies the hell out of their scoots. Most of the customization is styling, although a lot of them also do performance mods. Of course one of them had to have install a turbo:

TotalRuckus • View topic - Project EFI Z28x-Turbo Honda Ruckus : with VIDEO PG 1

Ruckus Club? Really?

I think that changes the definition of the aforementioned word.

Beer Baron 06-08-2012 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275725)
When you put big-ass motors and B-King styling on them, they become "not really" scooters and "not really" motorcycles, and they don't fill either role very well.

I agree that the big scoots are not really scooters in the traditional sense and that they are really automatic motorcycles. Don't get why they are not "real" motorcycles. They are great for touring, commuting and errand running. And they do those roles very well.

The Spaceman 06-08-2012 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Baron (Post 275732)
Don't get why they are not "real" motorcycles.

If you can ride it in a skirt, it's not a real motorcycle.

Beer Baron 06-09-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275734)
If you can ride it in a skirt, it's not a real motorcycle.

That's an interesting metric you use, I can see you have given this a lot of thought.

The_AirHawk 06-09-2012 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beer Baron (Post 275742)
That's an interesting metric you use, I can see you have given this a lot of thought.

He also wears a LOT of Women's clothing....

schizuki 06-09-2012 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275725)
Yeah, I like the Zuma too; it reminds me of the old mini-bikes every kid wanted back in the day.

Hey, you're right. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Quote:

IMO, scooters are supposed to be "Audrey Hepburn" (excellent metaphor, BTW). Scooters are inherently gay (and I don't mean "gay" in the sexual orientation context). They should be cheery, small, unthreatening, and generally light in their loafers. When you put big-ass motors and B-King styling on them, they become "not really" scooters and "not really" motorcycles, and they don't fill either role very well.
Great points. I withdraw the criticism. Do you know what kind of scooters the Mods generally rode? There's a certain historically geeky appeal to that scene, as well.

schizuki 06-09-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Spaceman (Post 275734)
If you can ride it in a skirt, it's not a real motorcycle.

Slam dunk.

Now I'm just waiting for Buz to chime in about my Sporty in three... two... one...

schizuki 06-09-2012 02:07 PM

Just checked out the Genuine Scooter Company site. Wow. Those guys get it. Stylish scoots and cheeky, on-target marketing. Thanks for the tip, Sliphorn.

Kevin_Duke 06-10-2012 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizuki (Post 275751)
Just checked out the Genuine Scooter Company site. Wow. Those guys get it. Stylish scoots and cheeky, on-target marketing. Thanks for the tip, Sliphorn.

Seems McCaleb is doing a lot of things right with Genuine. Smart (but a little deceptive) that that nowhere I could find on the site, even FAQ section, does it mention where the scoots are built. I had to dig around off-site to find out they are built in Taiwan and Indian.

seruzawa 06-10-2012 03:14 PM

Oh poop on you killjoys. Some of the best fun I ever had was running around on a Lambretta 150 when I was a teenager. Scooters can be a hoot. In fact almost anything on two wheels is fun, provided you have the right attitude and aren't a depressing snobbish lunkhead.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:44 AM.